Best way to copy LPs to CD's using a Computer

Please help! I want to transfer many of my lp's to digital and onto CDs. What software programs have you used that you could recommend and what would you suggest as the best way to connect from the integrated amp to the computer to transfer the signal?
128x128jcbach
The pain-in-the-butt factor is purely personal preference, and if I have the record I don't see much reason to digitize it as I would rather listen to the record when I'm home. I have over 2,000 CDs ripped so that is plenty of portable music if I want, not that I do that very much. I have made a few copies of OOP records on CD for friends, and I have some old cassettes of OOP stuff that I've digitized so that is nice, but for me, and that is the key, for me it is generally a pain to do. I've got maybe 3,000 LPs and I'm not going to live long enough to digitize them :>(

As for the spdif comment; the pro converters I mentioned above have USB and/or firewire outputs if that is a concern.

The fidelity from VHS tapes is clearly inferior. Check the specs. If just being analog is the criteria then 8-track is analog too.
So, do all of you just happen to have your PC in the same proximity as your TT? Mine is not, and I realize it’s not the end of the world, but moving the TT and phono pre to the PC is another hassle. Is there a simpler way…to an IPod and then to the PC perhaps?
With a USB ADC and some USB repeaters, you might be able to get the signal some distance. Or run long interconnects from your preamp to the ADC. The software I've used allows you to push the record button - you can edit out a minute of blank space while you go cue up the record later.
It would be great to get some data on "High End" Analog to digital converters with no internal spdif, and including a USB output to PC. The unit must have RCA Stereo inputs to be fed from the preamp's tape out.

As of now, I know of none. Anyone?