Recommend LCD / plasma TV ?

I've been looking at 26" LCD TV's. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand with a good quality picture?
The salesman recommended Samsung or Phillips. They also carry Polaroid, Sony, Panasonic, and Magnavox. All seen to have the same 1,300 x 780 resolution, even the 32" have the same resolution.
cdc
You may want to wait a bit until LCD's and Plasmas with 1080p native resolution are more prevelant to take advantage of the new higher resolution disc formats, well at least the Blu-Ray format. These sets are beginning to trickle in. I think Pioneer is the first to offer a plasma with true 1080p res, but it's 10K. I know Samsung is offering LCD's with 1080p (saw them in Crutchfield catalog) but they're also very $$$$.

I just went down this road and bought a 30" Sony XBR HD tube, which is amazing coming from a conventional set. I picked it up used, in anticipation of getting a plasma with 1080p eventually when the prices come down to Earth.
i'm with sammie-- the 1080p sets are just around the corner ,and word is that after x-mas, prices will come down as well, significantly.

but if you must have one today, the samsungs grabbed my attention at january's ces. very vivid colors.
I just bought a Samsung LNS4692D (46" LCD) and really like it. I decided against the 1080p version, which is indeed already available, since I was under the impression that it will be a couple of years down the road before media with this resolution is available. This might have been a bad decision... (Does Blu-Ray have 1080p resoulution?)

Anyway, this Samsung LCD seems to be great for HD content, good for SD and excellent for DVDs so I am happy.

Enjoy your research!

Holly