Recommend LCD / plasma TV ?

I've been looking at 26" LCD TV's. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand with a good quality picture?
The salesman recommended Samsung or Phillips. They also carry Polaroid, Sony, Panasonic, and Magnavox. All seen to have the same 1,300 x 780 resolution, even the 32" have the same resolution.
cdc
A lot depends on the actual signal being supplied. Some hd channels have a fair amount of up-converted SD material. not a pretty picture (pun intended). But on my 42" Fujitsu, native HD is stunning. SD is only fair, mostly because the picture has to be stretched. HD content expanding on Comcast cable pretty much every month. If you like sports or premium cable channels its just amazing. lots of times we sit and gawk at the picture. But of course "faults of the source become more apparent as the playback system becomes more resolving" is of course true. But most of us just go back and upgrade the source. If you live in an area where you can get OTA HD, you've got it made. if not, then you have to evaluate what cable or satelitte can provide.
Sharp and Sony lead the way in LCDs.
Their new High Def TVs are being released.
Better contrast, viewing angles, faster response.
LCDs have less glare and are catching up or surpassing Plasmas.
If you go with Plasma, the Pannasonic and Pioneer are tops.
You may want to wait a bit until LCD's and Plasmas with 1080p native resolution are more prevelant to take advantage of the new higher resolution disc formats, well at least the Blu-Ray format. These sets are beginning to trickle in. I think Pioneer is the first to offer a plasma with true 1080p res, but it's 10K. I know Samsung is offering LCD's with 1080p (saw them in Crutchfield catalog) but they're also very $$$$.

I just went down this road and bought a 30" Sony XBR HD tube, which is amazing coming from a conventional set. I picked it up used, in anticipation of getting a plasma with 1080p eventually when the prices come down to Earth.
i'm with sammie-- the 1080p sets are just around the corner ,and word is that after x-mas, prices will come down as well, significantly.

but if you must have one today, the samsungs grabbed my attention at january's ces. very vivid colors.