Isolating the listening chair?

Lately I have tried using audio isolation devices on the feet of my listening chair, first trying Tip Toes, then carbon fibre cones, suspension couplers and composite materials. I would have to say that the differences in sound quality exceed those in using the same devices on my tube amp, preamp, CD, or record player. I am now experimenting with different materials to put in the chair cushions, sand, closed cell foam, natural lambs wool, etc. The initial results are quite promising. Has anyone else had experience with this in the context of a high-end system?
128x128viridian
Wow! I've got lead in my butt, according to my wife anyway, perhaps if I used lead in my cushions I would get some great synergy. Sorry if your post was serious......:-)
I've had better luck with high mass dampening. Placing a large sandbag on top of my head snaps the soundstage into focus and increases air around instruments.
I haven't tried it, but I remember there was a thread about something like this before. I think someone was putting bricks on his shoulders or something.

If you are hearing improvements, I'm guessing it is due to the chair making less noise in response to the sound in the room. Perhaps the feet of the chair were vibrating against the floor? Was the chair on a rug or directly on a hard surface?

I'v e been meaning to start a thread on this. I have been wondering if the improvements people hear from using isolation devices are from reducing noise made by the chassis, rather than any effect on the electrical signal. I got to thinking about this at CES when I saw a vendor selling little precious metal bells stuck on blocks of wood that were supposed to enhance the sound field. He was about to do a demo, but we got distracted, and I never heard their effect. But I thought if these little things could affect the sound in response to airborne noise, so could anything else in the listening room.

It would be interesting if you coud comment if there is a difference when you lean your head against the back of the chair or lift your head slightly off the chair. This would give some indication as to whether the effect is due to isolating sound from your head, or something else.