wht is the difference between good and bad sound ?

is it all subjective ? is sound quality dependent upon the ear of the beholder, or are there standards for judgment ?

in essence, if one does not like the sound is it bad sound, and cobnversely, if one likes the sound then it is good sound ?

does this also apply to components as well, i.e., if one does not like the contribution a component makes to the sound of a stereo system then that component is a bad component ?
mrtennis
years ago i became a member of the bmg music club.

i compared cds issued to the club to commercially available cds on the dgg label. these were classical cds. i noticed a difference between the sound of the cds.

in a nutshell, i would describe the diffference as a loss of detail or veiling for the cds from the club as compared to those commercially available.

these facts were reported to bob katz, a recording engineer at chesky records.

he did some research and concluded that the club cds had more jitter than the commercially available cds.

i found the losss of detail on the club cds a benefit, making the sound more pleasant than that of the commercially available cds.
Mrtennis, I wasn't trying to enter into the existentialist debate, just describe how good and bad sound occur for me - no more and no less. Good and bad are generalised terms to describe what must be a continuum and may have several dimensions. You can describe any observation as 'in the eye of the beholder'. Is this sheet of paper white, or is the only fact that I perceive the paper to be white. Me perceiving it to be white does not preclude another person perceiving it to be grey. So where does this get us? Not far unless you just like such debates. But the counter-factual, which could be that noone should ever describe here something as sounding good/bad, or better/worse than anything else seems to me to lead to reducing the sum of our enlightenment. Just because we cannot prove many useful facts about sound does not mean we cannot discuss the observations that have occurred to us. Take everything with a grain of salt, but don't dismiss all reported observations as meaningless.
observations are not meaningless. our experience is basically all that we have. there is very little knowledge. most of us know very little.

there is sound. it is neither intrinsically good or bad.

the terms are used to express a subjective reaction to listening. there are disagreements between serious listeners as to what is good and bad.

the point of this and other similar philosophical posts is to get people thinking about different perspectives, and rid themselves of rigidity and dogmatism in their thinking.
of course debates are stimulating and keep our brains sharp. remember use it or lose it.

one could do worse than engage in philosophical discussions.
It's like asking what is the difference between good and bad food. I have no idea what "you" like to eat, but whatever it is I am sure you truly enjoy it.

I would have to agree with Mrtennis' point about experience. If we didn't have opinions based on experience all we would be left with is just sound.

Opinions derived from observation, experience and communication is what makes the world (and Audiogon) go round.

Anyway, bla bla bla, this is a bad thread...... or is it?
Mrtennis has waaaay too much time on his hands. Plus I think he watched too many Woody Allen movies and saw too much dialog between Allen and Diane Keaton. Only those were pretty well done and actually made sense. Mrtennis just likes to toss out crazy notions and see how people react. We should probably ignore his silly posts and leave him to his boom box and therapy sessions.