Audiophiles and apartments: Oil and water?

I live in an apartment, and am thus constrained when it comes to the volume at which I listen. However, I tend to view this as a glass-is-half-full kind of situation, because when I do have the opportunity for serious listening (when the downstairs neighbor is gone) I appreciate it that much more. How do you handle your situation in an apartment or other close-living quarters?

Tim
smorkinlabbit
one solution is to find a pair of speakers which sound good at low volume levels.

as it happens i don't play music loud and live in a one
family house.
I've found it helpful to get to know my neighbors. That way, if there are any volume issues, things are more likely to be settable amicably. Also, common sense--no loud music past 10, generally play at a moderate level, avoid boomy systems (e.g. even if your speakers are high quality, get them on the proper stands). I've been in dorms and then apartments for almost 20 years now. I've never had a complaint (except in the dorms, when my neighbor decided to try to blast me out of my room--being a man with a big stereo, well, one must retaliate).

I think that as more people get "home theater" systems with horrible, boomy subwoofers, people are getting more used to hearing their neighbor's music.

I've lived in college towns the whole time, so most of the people around me have been younger.
I had a neighbor from the downstairs apt say to me while we were riding in the elevator "you listen to the same kind of music we listen to....but just LOUDER"
he's a cool guy though....made couple of jazz compilations for him and I haven't heard the complaints since.

I have a pianist living next door. The guy plays amazing piano, but after about 2 hours he starts getting on my nerve. So I usually play a record of something he's rehearsing and he quiets down.

I usually listen loud, but never past 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends. I do enjoy late night listening but fortunately everything quets down by then and I don't need the system to play loud. Low level resolution of my current components is pretty good.