Audiophiles and apartments: Oil and water?

I live in an apartment, and am thus constrained when it comes to the volume at which I listen. However, I tend to view this as a glass-is-half-full kind of situation, because when I do have the opportunity for serious listening (when the downstairs neighbor is gone) I appreciate it that much more. How do you handle your situation in an apartment or other close-living quarters?

Tim
smorkinlabbit
I gave my very cute neighbor my phone number and asked her to call me before she called the cops. Win/win situation.

:)
My apartment complex is designed where the living rooms are on opposite sides. Last complex I was in they were wall to wall. It also helps to have bipolar speakers for when they are home. I have Martin Logan's. Definitive Technology's before that. Im always at home during the day when I am home when everbody else is at work. Thats when I give mine a workout. I dont mind hearing a little of my nieghbors music just as long as they are not at it all night long. Some people think they are the only ones living there and like to party 24/7. They can't stand it when you turn your's up. Thats kids for ya though. I could go on and on.
I'll be facing the apartment scenario within 6 months. We currently rent a house (with a separate listening room) but just purchased a condo that will be completed by the end of the year (Can't afford an average $500,000 house in lovely Vancouver, BC). I quite enjoy listening at significant volume levels so I've been looking into soundproofing. I came across a product called "Quiet Rock" that is supposed to very effective and reducing sound transmission across walls or floors. It's quite expensive at about $160 Canadian for a 4x8 sheet, but it might be worth it.

http://www.quietsolution.com

Has anyone tried Quiet Rock?
Given the cost, it would be nice to hear if it has worked for other Audiogon members.

Cheers

Derek Stewart
Vancouver, BC
I have had some recent experience here. I lived in an apartment (3 flat) where everyone blasted away and the agreement was simple. You can blast away. I can blast away. End of story. Very nice. Then I bought a condo and the downstairs neighbor called the cops the day I moved in. I was playing folk music at about 70 db. Not a good situation. I turned it down and bided my time. He eventually moved, and I can play louder now. I still don't blast like I did before, but that's ok. I found out 2 important things during this experience: renters are generally young and flexible. Owners are generally older and uptight. You can't change that, so you have to deal with it, or buy a single family home. Not easy if you live in Manhattan, though. :) I live in Chicago, and I may upgrade to a single family home someday, although I'd prefer to make it work in the condo.

Don't be the bad guy. That's my advice. If you want to crank it up, do it at reasonable hours. Then, if they complain, turn it down and ask what hours work best for them. And mention that you ARE being considerate by not cranking it up at 2 AM, even though you'd like to...

Cheers
Post removed