Energy damping or energy transfer?

Are there some generally accepted guidelines about which components to isolate (in terms of vibration damping) and which components to "couple" to the rack (which is also coupled to the floor)?

I freely admit to being clueless here (I'm still trying to get my head around cables and power cords), but it seems like the "brass spikes" guys are saying something completely different from the Vibrapod-type isolation guys.

Given what they're asking for these products and the potential number of components involved, it's like considering a major component upgrade.

Also, has anyone noticed once a component is isolated/coupled that either the interconnect or power cord is affected? Thanks. If this has been kicked to death in the past, just posting a link would be great.
lrdmax
You could do searches here and at Audio Asylum and spend the next month reading about this topic.

I think the only thing that responds well to "coupling" is speakers. Most electronic components benefit better from isolation, and there are dozens of ways to achieve this. If you are into the DIY thing, it ca be a fun and interesting pursuit.
If you were to do a blind AB test w/a system using after-market damping and a system using the factory supplied rubber feet, I doubt you could tell the difference. Yes, TTs need damping, but IMO the magic cones, energy dispersion crystals, maple blocks, and the like for other components are nice to look at but that's about it. No carbon fibre cone or isolation block is going to improve your CD player, amp, or preamp one iota.
I was talking about stereos one night with a chemist. He related a story to me because I was contemplating buying a Sistrum stand for my stereo which uses the coupling and draining philosophy.

He told me that at Rohm and Haas, where he works, they had the multi-million dollar electron microscopes sitting on damping pads that would hold the microscopes steady through an earthquake. Then he said, "but that nothing can stop airborne vibrations".

I went with the Sistrum stand!
Thanks for the replies. Looks like 2 to 1 in favor of isolation for components.

Among other applications, I'm working on a custom equipment rack that uses an angle iron frame with hardwood shelves. I wasn't sure if I should try to couple the shelves to the frame (by epoxying some type of small points to the shelves and having the points contact the frame) or isolate the shelves from the frame.
For isolation, I was thinking about a combination of cork and sorbothane.

Then there's the issue of isolating/coupling the components and the shelves, or, like Bojack says, DO NOTHING. ;-)