Is live reproduction the goal of audio?

Is the ultimate direction of electronics to reproduce the original performance as though it were live?
lakefrontroad
I think it is to reproduce the recorded signal accurately, whether that signal is a live recording, studio mix of different takes, an electronic creation of the artist/engineer, etc. I benchmark electronics against original performances because I have heard unamplified live music and I "know" what it should sound like, presuming minimal loss in translation from mics, engineering, pressing, etc.
Hello

The electronics engineer is highly regarded here as the expert on the field of hi-fi. I mean in universities they 1st took a hearing test in order to be excepted to the school of higher listening. It's funny that it's the musicians that are making the music. We are so stuck on the equipment that we believe it is the electronic engineer that "gets it". Does Yo-Yo Ma know electronics? Can he atleast build a 2 million dollar Stradivarius ? Do you need to be a 5 star chef to know flavor. I can take 1/2 of audiogon to a LIVE concert and they still won't "get it " How is he supposed to duplicate LIVE in his room when he can't "get it". Do you think an engineer can capture that if he won't go to one concert . Will the hi-fi fan duplicate the "live" feel if he can't "get it". Give him the best equipment available....so what .Do you "get it" ???
This will never be possible (thank God!). High End is to produce the most intriguing experience with reproduced music. High End and Live are two completely different stories - yet High End is the best way to listen to music outside the concert hall or venue.
In my opinion "no" I look at my systems as a musical instrument and I try to optimize its playback capbilities with that in mind.

Chuck