Why China Isnt Happening Yet

I have found it interesting to read about Chinese tube amps for a fraction of the price of US, how China is taking over the world etc.

A colleague of mine in the trading and investment business is actually thinking that the prosperity of the US is over forever, Medicaid/Medicare and our pension system are bankrupt, interest rates are going up, the housing market is going to collapse and one day Americans will figure out that there is more than one currency in the world.

At that point, the US will experience flight capital for the first time, and then we are really in big trouble.

Now some of this worries me, but I thought is was interesting that of the 6 or so, bargain priced, obviously knocked off in China, toys that were given to my baby boy for Christmas....

NONE of them worked properly?!?!

The robot? He wouldnt wind up, didnt walk, and sparks failed to fly from his mask.

The magic sliding coin tray? Also didnt work, and was so cheesily made that the mechanism was obvious.

Radio controlled car? Had a range of about 10 feet -- no fun at all.

Now none of this excuses the problems we may have here in America, but FYI I am less likely to buy a tube amp from China in the New Year.

Cheers.

cwlondon
cwlondon
Good post Danlib1, although it doesn't have too much to do with audio.

Personally, I think political opinions and agendas should not be a part of music. So when it comes to audio gear, it is not important whether it's manufactured in China or anywhere else. What is important is that for the price, it is a good deal/good performer. The fact that it's made locally should mean that a middleman was cut out. When you play music with someone, you do not care about their race. If you do, then that's racism. What is important is that he/she can play. Same with audio gear IMO. One shouldn't care where it's made. What's important is whether it's any good. Now that's not saying, I don't support people buying local to support their local community. Note that that's different from bashing others. One is positive while one is negative.
If you are not pleased with the current government in the USA then why would you have an allegiance to domestic products? Am I supposed to feel guilty about betraying Haliburton and Enron while listening to my Consonance gear?
Jack: While I fully respect your right to post Charles Hansen's opinions, I also think that looking at the big picture is in order here as well. Does the Chinese worker, who is working in less than ideal conditions, have fewer rights than the unemployed American unskilled worker living without medical insurance or basic necessities in the ghettos of America (or Canada, or Brazil, or Kenya, or Ethiopia for that matter)? If you or Charles Hansen feel that way, you are either a racist or a nationalist, pure and simple my friend. I would say that it's much more politically correct to be a nationalist than a racist, but in a rapidly globalizing world it is no less morally correct. In the west we need to look to our governments for MUCH more leadership in areas of education to improve our workforces to compete in the global economy and be able to provide "value added" skills and labour. The fact is that we have become lazy in the west and we believe prosperity is our right, not something we need to earn. Billions of Chinese, Indians and Africans do not have these preconceived notions; an unskilled and uneducated workforce combined with unimaginative management is simply not going to cut it in the new millenium and General Motors-and perhaps high end American audio producers-are a prime example of that.

As a consumer, I feel no guilt in buying quality products produced in countries other than my own; I do, however, feel outrage towards our governments which do absolutely nothing to improve our lot, but focus instead on creating smokescreens for the public while they retain "power" and line the pockets of the economic elite. Our governments, and the people who elect them, better clue in to this or we are going to be in big trouble.
Thank you HDM. The 2nd paragraph of your post puts a more eloquent twist on what I was saying.
"A government for the people, by the people, and of the people" has about as much credibility these days as "Please hold, as your call is very important to us."