Vibration control question....

If I have access to a 18"x12"x3" block of granite for my CD player, would it be best to use spikes or can I keep using the vibrapods that I am using now ? Thanks in advance for any input.
muskrat
Hey.....no problem. I set it up last night using cones under the cdp into the granite. Sounds good, but its a new house, new room so I still have to tweek speaker placement, etc.
Any other smarta$$ remarks? ;-)

By the way, I did try placing jello shots under my cdp first. Sounded a little muddy.
That's odd, when I tried the Jello shots under the CDP everything was real thick and overly sweet, kinda like tubes!
Ya know if ya move that sensitive piece of equipement to the center of the rack [preamp, cd, dac, or even turntable] you will hear a lower noise floor, more pinpoint focus and stage, deeper bass and more lucid highs.Vibration and coupling as it relates to inertia.Tom
OK folks, leaving cones, pods and other footware alone for a moment, have you experimented with homegrown platforms other than granite? I am thinking of sandwich construction: e.g. start with three or 4 layers of 3/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood, and top the wafer with a sheet of Dupont Corion or reconstituted quartzite, such as 30 mm slabs of Dupont Zodiac or Stylestone.
Years ago a member here and now a manufacturer of electronics and speakers use to have built and sold thru his retail store a platform made of laminated wood filled with a hot molten brew of lead shot and a plastic substance sitting upon feet of metal with delrin inserts .Or so I remember. Two versions, one weighing in at about 20lbs the other at about 80lbs..Had one of each for almost 20 years or so wound up in my closet about 10 yrs ago until I gave them away in the recent past.They did increase focus at the expense of stage size,tended to make things to dark the way high mass low reactive materials do. These platforms were of the high mass, sink school of design. These never really gave the equipment a way of dissapating their own internal self generated resonaces or for that matter airborne vibrations which would be picked upped by the chassis only to be slowed at exit by the mass and transfer rate of the materials of the platform.A storage device, with no exit strategy.Tom