Problems with shipping to Canada

I checked the Forums but this topic doesn't seem to have been addressed before so potential shippers to Canada take heed. In June I shipped an item to Canada by FEDEX where the buyer had agreed to pay shipping and be responsible for paying the import duties. However FEDEX has been unable to collect the fees from the buyer and have informed me that as shipper I am ultimately responsible for payment. Luckily the amount I'm out of pocket is not large ($120) but I just wanted Agoner's to be aware of this possible pitfall especially if shipping high-value items
jaynewt
I'm Canadian and I've dealt with Americans from both buying and selling end of the deals. I've only had positive experiences with Fedex Ground and UPS Ground. Yes, brokerage fees are stupid but what can you do.

Please don't black ball me! I have perfect feedback!
Post removed 
I'm Canadian, and I end up going to Seattle to pick stuff up, because CANADIAN CUSTOMS are a pack of petty rogues. In fact I'm in the US right now picking up an architectural model that I had a friend of mine build. He builds violins, guitars, manolins etc...

(I can't resist making a plug for him - he does impeccable work - he is an as yet undiscovered mastercraftsmen of stringed instruments - his company is called 'Brave Old World' guitars. tel# 509-493-0230. He deserves this credit! (and he's a terrible self promoter)

If I were to have it shipped directly to Canada it would have cost me up to 500$ in taxes and duty.

On the rare occasion that I do use Fedex, I use air, not ground. Brokerage fees are included with air so it ends up costing about the same.
I have shipped to Canada several times in the past without any problems at all. I was under the impression that if the Canadian buyer refuses to pay the duty taxes he could not take possesion of the shipment. Canadians here on Audiogon are friends as well as some of our best members. Can't let one or two isolated incidents destroy that!
Hi,I am canadian,and I bought so many things from US through USPS,UPS,every time I received the parcel I have to pay custom tax and management fee before you take the parcel.I don,t think the delievery guy will let you take the parcel without payment.One thing I don,t undestand when the shipper from United Stated pay the cost to Fedex or UPS to ship to Canada,the receiver of Canada has to pay the fee to Fedex or UPS again.From my experience,the USPS is better than UPS and Fedex.