Your Computer Based Transport Setup

I am on the verge of moving to a Mac or Windows based transport setup but I am not sure which route to go.

I am pretty good with computers so a custom pc setup is what I have decided because of:

1. economically better than packaged music server
2. ability to experiment and change settings and software

However, I do not see a lot of info or thoughts on peoples computer based transport setups, (or ones that or pretty recent considering how fast the computer landscape changes so fast)

I will be going through a Chordette QuteHD dac to a Bryston 4b SST amp.

So, what is a good looking and performing computer setup?
Do you like mac mini's, big macs, windows 7 or 8 and any pro's and cons?

I am leaning towards a mac mini with something like audirvana. The mini is a nice looking small format and the OS is pretty solid and it runs quiet and cool from my experience.

Thank you fellow computerphiles.
photonman
Initially started with PC then switch to Apple. Macbook Pro>USB>Ayre QB-9 DAC>MF6I. Using Decible instead of ITunes. Firewire 800 from EHD to Macbook Pro. Really enjoy the setup and sound. Decible major step(s) above ITunes and can play FLAC. PC was a suped up desktop but older and was using Vista for OS. I like Mac though a newer PC might be just as good. Vista was the main problem. I agree you have to back up drives. I small price to pay for security of digital music collection.
I have a late 2012 Mac mini (quad core i7, 16G RAM, 256G SSD) feeding a QuteHD via USB or via my SOtM dX-HD USB to S/PDIF converter. Like Steve, I use Amarra. The mini is a joy to use. It's stable, fast, and dead silent. The SQ is simply gorgeous. BTW the QuteHD is a great DAC right out of the box but seems to like a good linear ps by all accounts (I use a King Rex PSU MK2) and many favor the coax input. I don't have a clear preference as both sound great. Best of luck whatever you decide.
I am loving this computer setup and feel stupid for not exploring pc transports sooner. I actually am beginning to like the sound better than my CDP at this point as I have been going back and forth all weekend between cdp and mini.
Its almost one of those "love the one you're with..." things. You just get acclimated to the sound and all things being equal, the convenience of pc server is awesome.

For backups I will dust off my time capsule and fire it back up as that should take care of that!

I am hoping the new mac mini's due to be released this fall with the Maverick OS will follow the fanless design of the new mac pro's tower setup with a convection "chimney" to dissipate the heat. Even my current mini with fan is dead silent already.

I might have to explore the linear ps too for my qute but just wish I could try it out first.

I will try amarra too once my audirvana trial expires.

thanks for all the inputs!
The Mini really needs a new DC linear supply. Makes a huge difference. You can either mod a new one to remove the SMPS and put a connector on it or just get the 2009. 2009 is easier and actually sounds better. I have compared them, both with linear supplies.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio