Are my CAT5 and router my weak link?

I have paid a lot of money for my PS Audio PW DAC II with the bridge....as well as all of my interconnects, power cords and speaker cables. After all that, I have an inexpensive (relative to my system) wireless router that connects my computer to the PW DAC and CAT6 cables that are not too special. Are those components letting the signal come through fully? I am curious what others may have done.

Thanks
Jeff
jeffatus
Hi Kijanki,

Bryon's situation is indeed different in several significant ways. One being that there is no wireless link between the cable in question and the system. However, following conversion of the ethernet data to S/PDIF, which is performed by a Sonos, the S/PDIF data goes through a high quality re-clocker, that also provides galvanic isolation, before it is input to the processor in which D/A conversion is performed.

I am in general agreement with all of the technical comments in your posts above, except that I would emphasize that matters of degree are involved. And the matters of degree have no clearly definable threshold separating what may be significant from what is insignificant. For instance, concerning your comment that:
This noise (whatever the source is) has to be strong and at least 30MHz to make effective (1/10 wave) receiving antenna of typical 1m interconnect.
While the 1/10th wavelength criterion is a reasonable guideline to use in many contexts, I would be hesitant to declare that in the context of an audio system an antenna that is less than 1/10th of a wavelength will be sufficiently INEFFECTIVE to reduce noise pickup to insignificance. Especially when sub-nanosecond jitter effects are presumably significant at the point where D/A conversion is performed. And given also that low-level RF may significantly affect the performance of analog circuitry. There is yet another thread that has recently appeared about someone hearing radio stations while listening to a phono source!.

Also, in addition to the possible antenna effects of interconnects and speaker cables (with RFI picked up by speaker cables perhaps becoming audibly significant as a result of entering amplifier feedback loops), I would not rule out the possibility that RFI picked up in AC power wiring may find its way to circuit points in the components where it could have audible consequences.

Concerning the 1/10th wavelength guideline specifically, I'll mention that some of my antique AM radios, that are designed to work with external antennas and do not include built-in antennas, will receive non-local stations on even the lower part of the AM band, with good quality, using a piece of plain hookup wire just a few feet long as an antenna. In those cases the antenna is well under 1/100th of a wavelength. And some of those radios, that do not have well-shielded RF and IF sections, can pick up those stations with no antenna connected at all.

Concerning the RFI reduction resulting from twisting of the conductors carrying balanced signal pairs, while obviously that reduction will be very substantial, it too is a matter of degree, and will not be perfect. How imperfect will it be, at each of the many frequencies that may be involved, and how much imperfection has to be present before there may be audible consequences? Obviously I have no idea. But my point is simply that if the OP's ethernet cable is located in relative proximity to the audio system, the possibility that changing the cable to a shielded type could make a difference for the better does not seem to me to be beyond the bounds of plausibility.

Best regards,
-- Al
Al, Thank you. I often tend to think in absolute terms while boundaries in reality are not that sharp. Tubeking sugested that shielding might compromise twist density making it worse instead of better. It is easy enough to compare since Ethernet cables are not expensive. I would use shortest possible cable as far as possible (since field drops rapidly (inverse square) with the distance. I would also avoid setting router at full power in close proximity if there is no need for that (no dropouts).

Do shielded cables require special connectors? I thought that plug has 8 pins (4 twisted pairs) with no room for the ground. Ground would have to somehow clip to chassis.
Do shielded cables require special connectors? I thought that plug has 8 pins (4 twisted pairs) with no room for the ground. Ground would have to somehow clip to chassis.
Hi Kijanki,

Excellent question. The connectors on all of the shielded ethernet cables that I have seen have metallic housings, that are presumably connected to the shield. And when inserted into the ethernet connector on all of the computers I am familiar with, that housing will contact a metallic tab which is in turn grounded to the chassis.

Best regards,
-- Al
I had my PWD system wired with CAT 5. It sounded good. Then I started adding CAT 6 with each piece it sounded better. I thought I was done. Then I saw CAT 7 on Amazon. I tried a piece or two. Drat it sounded better. Now I'm slowly replacing every thing with CAT 7. Anyone need some wire?
I am jumping ship when CAT10 hits the market. Meanwhile, am am sorting out the directionality of my fuses.