How to configure a PC for outstanding Audio?

How do you configure a PC for outstanding Analog Audio Output?

I am about to invest in a new PC (preferrably a standalone, but perhaps a laptop with external monitor or a desktop)and would love to have the capability to use it to connect to my hybrid NAD/McIntosh/ADS audio/HT system.

Thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark
mwilliford
Al,

I do use the Tascam US-144 as a USB to SPDIF converter. It was works well in my setup with great sound. As far as I know there is no d/a or a/d conversion with this unit if you are sending out via SPDIF. It does include analog out but I wasn't interested in using it as a DAC.

I was considering the offerings from Empirical Audio & Bel Canto but I decided to wait for a 24b/192khz model before I drop $500+ on a USB converter. So In the meantime I am more than happy with the US-144 considering its bargain basement price.

Interlochen,

My PC Specs are...

Intel E6300 CPU (considering a 35w Celeron 430)
XFX Nforce 630i Mobo (not the best board for audio, may replace)
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD
AZiO ENC311SU31 HDD Enclosure
G.SKill 1GB DDR2 PC6400 (underclocked to 600mhz at CAS 3 Latency)
Corsair HX850 PSU (excellent low ripple & dc ouput)
Thermalright AXP-140 Heatsink
Omaura TF8 Aluminum Case (Company may have gone bye bye)

You should also check out the cics guide "The art of building computer transports" which you can find at http://imageevent.com/cics/v03theartofbuildingcomputertrnsp I didn't follow the guide step by step but some of the recommendations helped me with my system.
Isolating the pSU from the PC case also helps (nice rubber grommets) as well as a good power cord and a line conditioner. Also, if using an internal CD player (I don't-I use an external Lacie), also isolate CD from from case w/grommets as well as any internal hard drives. Supporting the PC on isolation device also helps (check out mapleshade PC isolation) -hey, if going all out, why not? For external drives, I place them on symposium fat pads. I use firewire out, though, as USB is too cpu dependent.
Cerr, Al, Strat, I've printed these posts out, so significant is their worth. Thanks. I've been building PCs for years too but must get away from thinking simply windows platform and towards Audiophile gear.
Dave
I've been using the Windows 7 release candidate on my PC and Laptop and it is the best operating system I've ever used.
What do you think of the newer Atom 230 with ION based nettops, like the Dell Zino, Lenovo 110 and the Acer Revo? Since they are fanless and slower processors, would they work for less money than it would cost to build a HTPC. Why or why not? I am trying to decide whether to spring for one of those, or get a regular PC with a faster processor, more ram, fan, etc. I have never built a PC and am not very mechanically inclined, nor do I know much about configuring and tweeking a PC. Thus, whatever I get will have to be a purchased package.