iTunes music for home and on the go?

How do folks manage your iTunes libraries so that you can have uncompressed files for the home rig and compressed files for the iPod? I've got 600+ CDs ripped (using Apple Lossless) on an external drive. What's the most sensible -- and easiest -- way to create compressed files to put some of this music on my iPod? (Assuming, that is, that that is the way to go.) Thanks.

-- Howard
hodu
Personally, I just used iTunes to compress the less, um, significant tunes in my collection. Then I left the stuff I really care about in Apple Lossless.

This got me under 113 GB, which to my memory is about how much an iPod Classic can hold (i.e., 120 GB minus the software, etc.).
Personally I wouldn't listen to compressed files even on my ipod. The ipods are pretty cheap nowdays for 120GB and storage is super cheap. Don't waste your time ripping files to MP3. There is a dullness to the sound that is audible on an ipod plugged into a car stereo and it's just not worth it.

I think you'd have to have another complete copy to reduce the file size, so you'd have to keep your original and then make another copy and reduce the size, then you'd have 2 qualities floating around in your itunes for your home system.
I rip all of my CD's to FLAC (lossless) format onto my Linux machine that is used by Squeezecenter for my Squeezeboxes. I wrote a program that creates MP3 files from the FLAC files in a parallel file tree, and this is run every night to seek out the new FLAC files that don't have MP3 equivalents. I point iTunes at these MP3 files. It took some effort, but it works like a charm now.

Michael