PC vs MAC laptop as music server

Hi All,
Looking for a laptop exclusively for surfing the web and use as a music server.
Will use for ripping CD's and downloading Hi Rez music files (HD Tracks etc..)
Would also use to sync to my IPOD 160gb and connect laptop to ARC DAC7 using USB cable. DAC7 connected to an all Reference ARC system.
Speakers are Verity Audio Parsifal.

Should I go PC or MAC ?
smoffatt
Re Tok20000's first post, above. The following is from Empirical Audio's Web site:
The USB Off-Ramp 3 provides provides a USB computer interface to your audio system with unprecedented sound quality. With support for 24/96 resolution and bit perfect playback from PCs and Macs it is simply the best USB converter.
Keith, with all respect for your opinion and knowledge, you stated that Mac/iTunes can't compare to EAC and Foobar playback. But you further state that you haven't used a Mac for computer music payback. So, theoretical concerns aside, what is your statement based on? Can we assume you have listened to these alternatives side by side at a show or someone's system?

Again, not trying to be a butt- just trying to learn more.
Fair enough Danlib, I guess I need some explanation.

The software iTunes is pretty similar for both the PC and MAC.
I know for a fact that the Mac version of iTunes does not have the error correction that EAC has.
I do have a lot of experience with iTunes for the PC.
On a PC, I do know that playback through Foobar2000 is superior to iTunes on the PC.

Now on a Mac, I will admit that I have not compared iTunes playback vs. a PC's Foobar2000 playback. This comparison is difficult (at best) to make. Because you would be playing back music on two entirely different machines. This adds too many variables into the mix. However, because one can easily build a PC to their specifications (esp. power supply makes a big difference), the PC should sound better.

This being said, I would goto Empirical Audio's website and read their white papers on computer digital. They agree that foobar2000 is the best player. They also agree that EAC is the best ripper. My findings were independent of their's.

One thing about foobar2000: The guys who have developed it have been working on it for 8+ years. Their sole intent is to develop the best player possible. This is not the case with iTunes. If you think iTunes was coded for the best playback possible, think again. It is a mass market program that is more geared to manage music and to make Apple money. Foobar2000 was coded by audiophiles who have a passion for computer playback. Who would you trust more?

The main questions you need to ask yourself when deciding on a PC or MAC for music playback:
- Do I want to be locked into one box? (MAC)
- Do I want to be able to build my own machine to my own specifications? (PC)
- Do I want to run EAC (the best ripper available)? (PC)
- Do I want to be able to run foobar2000
- Do you want to pay a premium for your computer? (MAC)

I know people (MAC people and PC people alike)complain about Microsoft operating systems; however, if you are just using a computer as a music server, operationally a PC even running Vista is very stable.

This and $4 will get you an overpriced large coffee at Starbucks. But I have been into computer audio 2 channel playback for going on 8 years. I have built 8 music servers (even a few Linux based machines) in that time and tried all sorts of different music players and rippers. Until someone I respect out there (a computer digital playback expert) who definitively says that there is playback software for the MAC that bests foobar2000 and ripping software for the MAC that bests EAC, I'll keep using Windows based PCs for music servers.

Keith
According to Steve Nugent at Empirical, playback from a Mac with iTunes is indeed a little less good than with Foobar. He does say that it is still excellent, though.

I switched computer platforms way back at DOS 3.3. I can handle Windows if I have to. Now that Macs have Intel processors and run both systems, I may one day try EAC and Foobar in order to hear for myself what the degree of difference is.

Steve Nugent's claim for the quality of EAC and Foobar is IMO the best and really the only argument for choosing a Windows platform for music, if your level of experience is the same with both operating systems. If you want to assemble your computer yourself from parts, that's another hobby and a different set of concerns.