Higher End USB Cables

Anyone tried/compared the newer high-end USB Cables (i.e. Locus Design Polestar or Ridgestreet model)? Curious if they're worth the $300+ price tag, particularly since Locus doesn't offer demo or return policy (can't speak to Ridgestreet). I do know there's differences in the cheap throw-away ones, much like different USB ports on the same computer.
mb9061
Hi -

looks like Opticis has formed a new company:
http://www.opticis.com/english/02_product/product03.htm

and that prices have gone up:
http://industrialcomponent.com/opticis/optusbext.html

MMarvin - the source side plugs directly into my Mac - at the other end after the converter I have a USB A to B cable - haven't tried to see how much I can spend on that yet...

No concern about maintaining an unbroken fiber chain - once the DAC is isolated from the computer that's the end of any possible electrical interaction between the two
I really do like the Havana. I've had it for about two months. Steve actually tipped me off to it after I was ready to throw in the towel with computer audio (tried the Bel Canto DAC3 and owned the DAC1 for about 10 months). I was a bit of a skeptic about his Turbo 3, but it does what it's advertised to do. Pricey though. I didn't spring for the battery, just running it off my Hydra. Yes, it does have the superclock 4. To me it brings the Havana to a level comparable to the Benchmark DAC1 I used to own, so basically all the detail/dynamics of the Benchmark but the benefits of a NOS tube DAC. I didn't care for the DAC1 because of its brightness, but otherwise thought it was a good DAC (dealt with jitter pretty well).
Hey Mb9061,
I too am running the Havana dac and love it. I thought I'd mention that Ridge Street has a 40% discount promotion on their poiema usb cable, just in case you weren't aware of it. Check out their audiogon listing.

Robert
If you are just doing standard redbook, then I wouldn't spend more than $100 - any of the ones mentioned here will do you just fine. I use Kimber into a Cullen mod PS Audio DL3.

If, however, you are pushing higher resolutions, the quality of the cable becomes more important.

Things have gone in various directions in this thread (which is fine), but I would like to refocus back to USB cabling.

All cables including USB cables are system dependent and user dependent and some combination of the two.

My best receommendation is that if you are looking for inexpensive USB cabling (in other words, if cost is the most important criterion) then an abundance of cables are available that are under $100. In that category you will find some much better than others, and many a whole lot worse than others.

But in order to find that out, you can't listen to people like me make referrals for you to make your decisions: you will have to break each of them in (sometimes 100s of hours running the computer into the DAC), listening to what you hear, and makign comparisons based upon adequately broken-in USB cables... that's the due diligence of cabling comparisons.

If you choose the inexpensive route, I suggest the cryoparts line of options:

http://www.cryo-parts.com/usb_cable.html

Many careful users of USB cables have been highly impressed by their performance to price ratio. (These same users have been highly impressed by the Ridge Street Audio Poeima USB line.

:) listening,

Ed