Higher End USB Cables

Anyone tried/compared the newer high-end USB Cables (i.e. Locus Design Polestar or Ridgestreet model)? Curious if they're worth the $300+ price tag, particularly since Locus doesn't offer demo or return policy (can't speak to Ridgestreet). I do know there's differences in the cheap throw-away ones, much like different USB ports on the same computer.
mb9061

Showing 9 responses by mb9061

Ghstudio - Yes. If your system is resolving enough and you have a computer, switch USB outputs for yourself and give a listen. With cables, the differences are less dramatic in my setup, but still noticeable.

Mmarvin - Very true. I've had a Belkin pro gold all along, subtle difference compared to the other cheap ones, but better with my setup.
Thanks all for the replies and links you've provided.

I was mulling over the Locus Design Polestar, but he doesn't offer demo periods. Ridge Street indicated a 45 day demo period. Not sure I'll cough up $450 for a USB cable just yet, but maybe eventually.
I'm not sure I want to be one of those b#stards, even if it meant a nice $6.5mil bonus for nothing more than negligence. Names will be named, then we'll see if the politicians and the tax system can provide some justice for a change.

It's an MHDT Havana tube DAC, but I'm using an Empirical Audio Turbo-3 USB interface. Steve Nugent of Empirical suggested the Belkin Gold that I'd already owned before buying his product. He also indicated that other USB cables do make a difference (i.e. Locus Design). I guess it's just financially morbid curiosity that has me interested in these other cables, I've already spent enough on power cords, etc. (all of which make a big difference as well). I feel pretty stupid even posing the question though...when you think about how much a single high-end USB cable costs, especially given state of things.
I really do like the Havana. I've had it for about two months. Steve actually tipped me off to it after I was ready to throw in the towel with computer audio (tried the Bel Canto DAC3 and owned the DAC1 for about 10 months). I was a bit of a skeptic about his Turbo 3, but it does what it's advertised to do. Pricey though. I didn't spring for the battery, just running it off my Hydra. Yes, it does have the superclock 4. To me it brings the Havana to a level comparable to the Benchmark DAC1 I used to own, so basically all the detail/dynamics of the Benchmark but the benefits of a NOS tube DAC. I didn't care for the DAC1 because of its brightness, but otherwise thought it was a good DAC (dealt with jitter pretty well).
I just took delivery of a 10' Cryoparts USB cable. I've had a 10' Belkin Pro Gold USB cable for a year now though 4 dacs, 2 sets of speakers and 5 amplifiers (the only USB cable I've kept in my system).

I'm really floored at the improvement the cable rendered right away (cold and no break-in ahead of time). I was skeptical at best beforehand. It's easily on par with going from cheap ICs to upper end cables. Let's see how it does after break in, but I was prepared for it to be harsh and sound like sh#t initially.

Not that I thought this was a farce as far as USB cables making that big a difference, but they appear to be on the order of ICs and power cables, if not moreso. And this was just a $100 "treated" cable. I guess in hindsight it stands to some reason as it's further up the signal chain, but basic intuition tells you digital is digital (1's and 0's).
Thanks Ed.

Thinking on it now (and this is going to seem like we're manufacturing a sales pitch for Cryoparts), I'm honestly not sure I've noticed as big an improvement in any cable upgrade I've made so far compared to this one. Only thing I can compare this to is going from a Musiland MD10 DAC to the Benchmark DAC1 I used to own. I'm suprised the cable makes that big a difference (particularly since it's just a beefed up standard USB cable).

It is a tad on the bright/forward side (slightly), likely due to it being brand new. I'm not using a pre-amp, just going straight from my IMac to a Turbo-3, then to a Havana DAC and from there into a modified Rogue Audio Stereo 90. Itunes provides volume attenuation. I've never been a fan of separate pre-amps in my setup because they always seem to rob some of the signal or veil things when compared to directly driving the amp.

Thanks again for the input.

Marc
That's a similiar experience I'm having with the 10' Cryoparts USB cable. It clears up the presentation moreso than the Belkin gold and does add a sense of dimension and weight, particularly to the midrange frequencies (fairly noticeable in my system). I can skate by with the longer USB cable given the USB converter I'm using, otherwise I wouldn't even consider anything over a 6' cable like when I owned Benchmark DAC1 a while back.

I decided to try the Ridgestreet Audio Poiema USB, but it hasn't arrived yet. We'll see how it fairs and if the money is worth any margin of improvement.
I took delivery of the Poiema cable yesterday. Right out of the bag it's incredible. I liked what the Cryoparts cable does versus the Belkin Pro Gold, but the Poiema is honestly in another class. I'll spare all the cliches on describing the improvement in sound and its characteristics, since results may very based on the system this cable's inserted into, but it is as has been advertised (and it still needs time to settle in).

Pound for pound, I'm beginning to get the impression digital source cables may have as much or more impact than analog ICs and/or power cords.
Satfrat's advice is about the best I could give to anyone thinking about trying higher end USB cables..."If you're not willing to spend, don't try these cables out". If you buy one of them, you'll likely keep it.

The Poiema is a great cable and the improvement is on par with changing a source component like a DAC (in comparison to the Cryoparts or Belkin cables). They definitely do take a long, long time to settle down though, and the frequency emphasis shifts around during break-in/settling. That's been the case with every USB cable I've tried.

I give Robert at RSAD a hearty reccomendation as he's a fair guy to deal with and customer service was well above average. Can't comment on Locus other than the Cryoparts cable, which was great in it's own right. I do like the Poiema for it's laid back attributes, it's definitely more polite while giving you plenty of detail and dimension.