Higher End USB Cables

Anyone tried/compared the newer high-end USB Cables (i.e. Locus Design Polestar or Ridgestreet model)? Curious if they're worth the $300+ price tag, particularly since Locus doesn't offer demo or return policy (can't speak to Ridgestreet). I do know there's differences in the cheap throw-away ones, much like different USB ports on the same computer.
mb9061
I like Wire World's Ultraviolet USB cable for ~$80 or so I find it a nice sonic upgrade from stock USB cables.

Keith
I just added the Ridge Street Poiema USB cable. The only cable I had not yet upgraded was the usb. So in an effort to get the most out of my system, I picked up the Ridge Street cable. I figured if the improvement wasn't worth the investment, I'd return it within their trial period. After a few days in my system, the improvements are significant and I am not planning on sending it back. BTW, my wife also noticed significant improvements. The improvements she described were consistent with what I was hearing as well. In my system, I can only say that the Ridge Street cable made quite a noticeable improvement. There definitely is a difference between usb cables. Well, at least between the generic usb cable I was using and the Ridge Street cable. I can not say if there is any difference with the Kimber, Belkin, or other cables. I am happy with the Ridge Street cable. You might want to give it a try and if you're not happy with it, simply send it back.

Robert
FWIW - I use and recommend the Opticis fiber optic USB cable. This cable is designed for industrial applications and can be run hundreds of feet. It takes the USB input from the cable, converts it to light, then reconverts it at the other end.

Personally I think it sounds better then my Belkin Gold. Since this is debatable consider the science behind it.

Technically it absolutely and inarguably breaks the electrical connection between the CPU and the DAC thus eliminating any possibility of a ground loop or other interaction.

Note that the unit requires a 5v power supply at the receiving end. Most of us who use them replace the rather low tech wall wart with a UBS battery unit which further isolates the signal.

Price will be about $140 for the cable and a stand alone battery supply.

BTW I have also used the Belkin Gold for many years. Have not fiddled with the other newer cables since I am very pleased with the Opticis. FWIW I have run it on a half dozen different DACs always with excellent results.

It sounds to me that we are beginning to see the same kinds of differentiation that made everyone crazy with SPDIF - differences in cable construction and especially termination are cleaning up various aspects of the electro-mechanical installation at both ends.