TWEAKS for PC USB DAC SETUP

I’m wondering what others have done with their personal confusers & DACs using an USB interface.

I recently added more Bright Star iso nodes, small & large to see if some betterment could be had. I used the small ones under my USB HDD… and the large ones under the desktop…. MUCH IMPROVED!

Cleaner, clearer, and more discernable range articulation became evident.

I also use a PS Audio UPC 200 & Duet, for the desktop and some peripherals. That helps two ways… it makes the FILE playback better, and seems to aid the maind systems sonics too by helping to eliminate the influx of wall wart, printer, etc., from introducing artifacts to it.

Has anyone yet confirmed or dispelled the USB cable controversy?

With which USB cable are you running?

Anything you’ve done which has proven to exhibit audible enhancements to the overall sound waulity would be greatly appreciated to be disclosed here.
hdd format... ntfs, fat 32, Which RAID, etc.

Thanks very much.
blindjim
Blindjim

Thanks for the notes - I appreciate it!

I have been playing with J River and I see in playback there are two options - Direct Sound and ASIO.

Is this the same ASIO as the ASIO4ALL download or is it different and should I still do the download of ASIO4ALL?

I also see the option in J RIver with these two playback options to set to output 16 or 24 bit or 44 or 96khz?

Any thoughts on what settings work better with your BC DAc 3 or just leave it as 16/44 because the USB won't support it anyway. I see that Empirical Audio Off Ramp or Freeway might support this, but if you have a great upsampling dac, does this become a moot point?

Thanks Jim,
Bill

I have been playing with J River and I see in playback there are two options - Direct Sound and ASIO.

Is this the same ASIO as the ASIO4ALL download or is it different and should I still do the download of ASIO4ALL?

Good question. In the ASIO settings there is a selection which enables a notification window to pop up when starting the ASIO… check it and see what the version is… the current version of ASIO for all is 2.8.7

…of course if you’ve already downloaded and installed it… juset try it… if it beeps ever 30 sceonds that’s it.

I also see the option in J RIver with these two playback options to set to output 16 or 24 bit or 44 or 96khz?

Any thoughts on what settings work better with your BC DAc 3 or just leave it as 16/44 because the USB won't support it anyway. I see that

Right. I leave it at the 16/44.1

Empirical Audio Off Ramp or Freeway might support this, but if you have a great upsampling dac, does this become a moot point?

Ask Emperical that one.

I have a theory for life… if you like what you are getting, keep doing what you’re doing… If you don’t, change what you can.

I’m pretty happy with what I’m getting right now. Going to another type DAC just for the sake of change isn’t likely to happen ‘round here for a while.

The only changes that interest me now are some tweaks… here or there… and maybe new power cords for my amps… but in all, just minor stuff IMO. As I’m pretty OK with what’s going on here now.

One item I’m considering now is another sound card… just to see if there is a diff from changing or up sampling the signal for true with HDD Files.
I went through the ASIO4ALL thing and couldn't get it to function at all. I ended up with XMPlay and used a plug in which enabled WASAPI - much better sound. The only thing you may not like with XMPlay is that it offers a basic interface - some use 'Album Player' as a front end though which makes it look pretty with album art etc. If ASIO4ALL works for you, great; however XMPlay and WASAPI is a good alternative

Thanks.
Hmmm... No success with ASIO FA huh?
I used the JR Media center... my visual adaptive software just about eliminates the use of the video portions of the MC12 but the audio w/wo the ASIO driver was night and day different, to the gooder.

Had some troubles configuring things and getting used to JR MC 12, but in the end I'm extremely happy with the output and especially the fact it plays the 'purchased' protected files from iTunes too.

Now I'm wondering mostly about USB cables.

Anyone tried different USB cables and find any in particular better than Wal Marts, Radio Shack, or Belken?

Sure would like to know about this USB CABLE bit.
Gee... one would think with all the PC audio supporters around here that notes on how or what is helping their PC audio systems along should be an easy enough question....

Maybe PC-o-philes don't tweak PC audio like audiophiles do?