which external hard disc for music storage?

i want to store my music uncompressed on an external hard disc and play it via a dedicated ibook (or similar) and external dac through a high-end audio system. can anyone suggest what might be the best external hard disc? looks, price and size apart i guess quietness is key. are there other factors to consider? i have about 400Gb of music to store. are there any relative performance issues in filling a 500Gb disc 80% versus to half fill a 750Gb disc? i am currently considering a fanless LaCie.
garbo
Buy as big as you could.It is never enough space once you begin deal with PC stored music.
WD makes some larger drives that are optimized to save energy and run quietly. They have a variable speed from 5400 to 7200 rpm. I'm think about buying a pair for a mirrored drive setup. Reviews say they're noticeably quieter and run cooler. I don't think you have any issue with filling up only x%. It's going to be able to deliver the bitstream at a rate above what you need for streaming uncompressed CDs. I have an external drive attached via USB that works fine with my Transporter setup. I'm using majority flac files but I have experimented with .wavs just to see if there was any difference in SQ. There wasn't IMO and the Transporter didn't have any issues with the bit rate of the drive keeping up.

I have one of the "Porsche" designed LaCie external firewire drives and have been very happy with it. It's the quietest external drive I've ever owned and certainly the nicest looking.