Ripping to a Mac, any software?

After importing several songs to my iMac via iTunes, I found the results disappointing. I used Apple Lossless and had the error correction in Preferences checked. Any tips for the mac for better sound quality? Any decent ripping software for the Mac? How about using a better cd spinner, such as an external Plextor drive? Thanks!
heymikey
My experience is the same as Sidssp's. I use iTunes for ripping and it works perfectly for me. It's easy for me to A/B the original and the copy using the switch on my DAC to flip back and forth between the original disc in my transport and the ripped copy streaming from the hard drive. I can't hear any difference.
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I've gone over my iTunes settings and found the Equalizer was on, at the "Flat" preset.
This may account for the lack of high frequency response and dull, lifeless music I was hearing. I'll do some critical listening this evening and report back tomorrow.

Are you using an external DAC?
If you are using an external DAC,
are you controlling volume with
the iTunes user interface, or with the DAC?
If an external DAC, what interface are
you using between the computer and the DAC?

You might find it best to defeat the iTunes
equalizer altogether: un-click checkbox on equalizer
widget top left.

Importing directly to iTunes, error correction 'on',
Apple Lossless, will give you bit-for-bit at playback.
*All other things being equal*, your music server should
sound exactly like a transport. Mine does.
One of the response makes me ask, what being used by everybody when importing directly to iTunes, the equalize ON in FLAT or with the equalizer OFF. What best?
Michaelct, yes I am going to an external dac, the Acccustic Arts Dac1 MK3. As others have suggested to me, I have the iTunes volume set at max, and the external dac is selected as the audio output device in "Sounds" under the "System Preferences" tab of my iMac. Volume is then controlled by my preamp. Regarding interface, I'm using an Empirical Audio Freeway 2 USB to SPDIF converter. After I turned off the Equalizer (I didn't realize it was on) and Sound Check, the sound quality became VERY good and I am now pleased with the results. To my ears it's not quite equal to the quality of sound from playing cd's in my Meridian 508.24 player, but it's close, I'd say about 95%. My next step is to replace the wall wart power supply on my Opticis optical USB cable with something better. BTW, is no one is using a better quality external drive? That's something I was considering as well.