Programs for File management - HELP

I know it is only a matter of time before my cd player becomes a thing of the past. I have ripped some of my music in a lossless format (WAV) and want to invest the time to rip the remaining music. I am actually going to selectively rip songs I love from about 1000 cd's, so you can see my concern with doing this right the first, and hopefully only time.

My frustration in my past experience with ripping discs is the organizational issues that occur with proper labels, tagging and access of the library that has been ripped. I am not an APPLE user, so Itunes is not for me.

What programs provide the best or most efficient system for ripping and tagging the music? What system/program will be best for the future as technology becomes better to access and identify this digital data?

As I am just starting to develop a plan to develop a PC based system to adjunt (Not replace) my high end source, I don't want to wait. I have purchased a few 320gig dedicated hard drives to store and backup the music I rip.

I have always found these forums to be incredibly honest and useful...please take the time to share your thoughts and advice.
gerarddunn
Ultravoilet, I found that when I tagged a cd after I burned it the changes wouldn't show up in the actual file on my hard drive. This is why I thought you had to burn it over. FOr example, I put a Coltrane CD in my drive and brought up EAC. The track titles weren't listed and I burned it anyway. Then I opened Media Monkey, inserted the cd and tagged the cd using "tag from Amazon." The CD titles came up and everything looked good. Media Monkey shows the tracks listed each time I open up that cd, however, when I go to my hard drive and open up the cd the track titles still aren't listed.

Any advice?
Kublakhan, what format did you rip too? Some formats, like WAV, do not actually support tagging in any standardized way. In my mind, a "tag" is a data element that is actually part of the music file, hence portable as the file is copied from one place to another, and recognized as part of a the file's inherent format. There are programs that allow you to create information associated with a file, but quite often that information resides in a database file unique to the player or file manager. That is almost always the case for WAV.
Edesilva, I'm burning in FLAC. The cd file is being tagged properly. It's just that the track titles aren't being changed in the file on the hard drive. Maybe it's too much to ask for this convenience?
Well, you're talking about two different things here. You may very well have tagged them properly, however, what you see when you open a folder on your hard drive are the file names--two different things. One of the conveniences of a tagging program such as Tag & Rename is that it allows you to sync file name to tag or vice versa (if one happens to be correct and the other is not or blank). Edesilva is correct, tags are actually metadata and a part of the data file itself--a totally separate entity from the file name. Without an adequate tagging program (lots of software has POS tagging built into it--although not all are horrible) you'll need to do what you previously did in mediamonkey or whatever it is you're using, and then manually change the filename. A whole lot of work...

Even if the cd is tagged perfectly, EAC only gives you so many fields in the tags to fill out. Dedicated software gives you all sorts of options. Some are very useful, especially for classical music (e.g. composer, comments, orginal artist etc.) others... mood (in addition to genre), beats per minute etc. A few programs are starting to emerge that allow you to search and categorize based on some of these odd fields (for example, you feel like head banging and want music only >100bpm)

There are plenty of other advantages such as running macro's on your music as a whole to perform actions such as capitalize the first letter of every word. The programs take some time to learn, but are invaluable once one's collection starts to grow. Personally I use Tag & Rename. It is the easiest, IMHO, to learn--there is more more "powerful" tag editing software, but the steep learning curve and the fact that 1 out of 1000 people will require those functions causes me to recommend Tag & Rename.
Let me say once again, THANK YOU to all of you for taking the time to share. I am learning a great deal, and I am sure you have saved me hours of frustration by giving me insight on different means of setting this system up. Please, keep this going...I am absorbing all of it!
Gerry