Is iPod Digital Output Possible?

I've been scouring through all the ipod accessories and cannot find what I am looking for. Perhaps it does not exist. I was wondering if there is any cable or dock that will allow me to extract a digital output from my iPod video (or any iPod for that matter)? There's plenty of adapters to pull the analog out, but it seems like you always need a computer interface to get digital output. Why? Is it just a matter of software to sort out the library? More to the point; I want to connect my iPod directly to my DAC or even to my Waveterminal (requires the squareish delivery end of a USB cable) to my DAC...is this possible? Has this been discussed previously? If so, where the heck was I? No, don't answer that last part! The authorities may be listening in! Just tell me how to get a digital stream out of my iPod if it's possible.

Marco
jax2
Wdrazek-

Great news. Now we don't have to wait for some over priced product from Empirical Audio.
I can't wait to get one. I wonder if Wadia is cleaning up the signal at all or passing it straight through. Either way it's a steal for $348.
Check out this Stereophile announcement for details on how this is done. It looks like we will be seeing more of these products in the future. http://www.stereophile.com/news/010408wadia/
At some point, isn't the easier answer to just use the USB adapter to have the iPod act like a USB drive, rather than a player?
Great article from Stereophile. This looks like a cool new piece of hardware. Wish my 60GB Ipod Photo worked with it. Guess I need 2 new pieces of hardware.