Mass .WAV compression utility?

I've got over 500 gigs of .wav files ripped in a nice orderly directory/file structure on a server like:

[Drive:]\My Music\[Artist]\[Album]\[TrkNo]-[Title].wav

I tend to use iTunes for playback off my Mac Mini and foobar 2000 for my WinXP boxes. While you can't "tag" a .wav, there is a nice Applescript I can run in iTunes, and masstagger in foobar, to allow me to build databases inside each program that recover tag information from the directory structure.

Now I want to create a shadow directory of everything in mp3 or aac format for portable use. All the mp3s I've made have been with EAC calling LAME as an external function when the disk was getting ripped. So, my question is...

...Does anyone know of a utility to mass convert .wavs to .mp3s, and either echo the directory structure on output or convert existing directory structure info into mp3 tags?
edesilva
You could very easily do so with iTunes, select all your music, then under advanced choose convert to (whatever you like AAC,MP3) it will make a copy of everything selected as the other format. The problem is how to independently manage them. Their is a MAC plug in to allow you to run multiple libraries from one user account, but I do not know if anyone has make such a plug in for PC's. The other option is to make a second user account and then have iTunes sort all your library by type and cut and paste all the compressed files into another user's music folder and they 'load' then into iTunes by dragging the file into the library.

DO understand you are looking at a lot of processor work, and HD access time.... I would start the comression before going to bed, or out of town.... I have no idea how long it will take to compress and store that much data, but I will need to do the same thing soon....

I am currently re-burning all my and my wifes CD's in AIFF on a seperate user account titled 'Music Server' and then just let the wife and I share that users account, both of our own libraries are compressed.
Hmm. I was hoping there was a way to do it with iTunes, but I couldn't find that option. Are you using iTunes 5.0? Half the problem is that with Apple's overscan, I can't see the menu bar on the top. I had that fixed for a while with Panther, because it gave me a new "no overscan" option when it recognized my TV/monitor, but then I hooked the whole shebang up to an HDMI switcher, Panther decided my display was no longer a TV, and the "no overscan" option disappeared. Aie. Anyway, maybe I didn't get the choice b/c I didn't have anything selected.

Yeah, I agree about the conversion times. It took 45 mins for Applescript to convert the directory info into tags, and mp3 compression is going to take even longer. I figured I'd start it up and let it run for a couple days. The mac doesn't get much use beyond running iTunes anyway.

Hadn't thought about the management of the files. I was going to put them on a separate directory on a file server I have. I thought, for some reason, you could have them in the library but choose to "show" only mp3s or wavs as the case may be. In any event, thanks for the help. I'll dig through iTunes once again.
Kenny, thanks for the advice. Can you provide more information, or a link, about the itunes plugin for Macs that allows reference to multiple libraries. I think I might need that!

Thanks, Peter S