Why does better power = better sound?

Why does improving power quality improve sound quality?

I’m not asking to start an argument about power cords or wall outlets. Please let’s not go there. I’m asking because I’m hoping to learn some technical explanations for the effects of power quality on sound quality. I think I already understand how…

1. greater current availability = greater dynamic range
2. reduction of RFI/EMI = better signal to noise ratio

…but what about these…

3. ???????? = greater perceived resolution
4. ???????? = more realistic instrument timbres
5. ???????? = more precise imaging

Are differences in resolution, instrument timbres, imaging, etc. somehow reducible to current availability and/or powerline noise? If so, HOW are they reducible?

Again, I’m hoping to get into technical specifics, not polemical generalities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
Thanks for sharing your story, Lacee. I have a similar kind of story with my adventures with AC power over the years, starting with a simple power conditioner and then moving on to fancy power cables and then to even fancier power conditioners and then to dedicated lines and to cryo'd 10 gauge Romex and to magic outlets and to more magic outlets and to custom power supplies and to ferrites ferrites ferrites and to noise harvesters and to powerwraps and to obsessive compulsive cord management and to all kinds of custom shielding and finally to fuses, which brings the whole subject to the level of absurdist satire.

Still, I wouldn't change a thing.

Bryon
Bryon, it only seems absurd to the folks who are content with the kind of sound they get with stock fuses, no power conditioning,dime store multi plug outlets and everything plugged into a one buck wall receptacle.

They laugh at what we spend to improve the power, yet they aren't getting the sound from their gear that they paid good money for.
They would rather flip amps and gear on a continuing basis,never having really heard the gear they own running the way it should.

I was fortunate to hear the results of power upgrades in my friend's system, and then followed suit with the same results-improved sound with the gear I already have.

I didn't have to spend another 10 grand for a new power amp, I made my old one sound like the ten grand amp for a lot less money.
Why spend thousands when all you have to spend is a few hundred in the right places.

That's absurd to me.
"They laugh at what we spend to improve the power, yet they aren't getting the sound from their gear that they paid good money for.
They would rather flip amps and gear on a continuing basis,never having really heard the gear they own running the way it should."

Agree clean power only helps and it can be a very cost effective tweak.

I would not go so far as to say that all power related tweaks are necessarily good nor cost effective though.

Like everything involving technology, usually, the devil is in the details. Many may not understand what works and what doesn't when it comes to clean power and shy away. Others that are more educated on the topic probably do.

Buying and selling used certainly can help take a lot of the risk out of trying something just to see even if you have no idea what to expect.
Lacee-Well said!!! The power cord/conditioning/outlet debate should have been settled years ago.
I agree with you, Lacee. I'm a big believer in improving the quality of AC power. IME, it can have a wide range of positive effects on sound quality, including lower noise, larger dynamic range, greater resolution, more realistic instrument timbres, better imaging focus, etc.. The improvements can be summed up as greater "naturalism."

Bryon