Why does better power = better sound?

Why does improving power quality improve sound quality?

I’m not asking to start an argument about power cords or wall outlets. Please let’s not go there. I’m asking because I’m hoping to learn some technical explanations for the effects of power quality on sound quality. I think I already understand how…

1. greater current availability = greater dynamic range
2. reduction of RFI/EMI = better signal to noise ratio

…but what about these…

3. ???????? = greater perceived resolution
4. ???????? = more realistic instrument timbres
5. ???????? = more precise imaging

Are differences in resolution, instrument timbres, imaging, etc. somehow reducible to current availability and/or powerline noise? If so, HOW are they reducible?

Again, I’m hoping to get into technical specifics, not polemical generalities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
A further thought about power regenerators. My guess is that the root cause of the reduction in dynamics that they are sometimes reported to cause is simply that the 120VAC or whatever that they put out is different (and most likely lower) than the voltage at the wall outlets.

A voltage reduction can make a difference in several ways, to a greater or lesser extent depending on the design of the particular components, especially the amplifier. It could reduce dynamic headroom, reduce maximum power capability, change internal operating temperatures, change bias points, and increase distortion on high volume peaks that approach the reduced clipping point.

On the other hand, if the line voltage happens to be lower than what the regenerator puts out, the voltage increase provided by the regenerator at those locations could decrease distortion on high volume peaks that approach the clipping point. That decrease in distortion could conceivably be perceived as a reduction in dynamics. In a different context (that of SET amplifiers) Atmasphere has commented in the past that since the 5th, 7th, and 9th harmonics of a note's fundamental frequency are significant determinants of our perception of loudness, an increase in those distortion components that occurs primarily on high volume transients will result in a subjective perception of increased dynamics.

Uru, thanks for your comment. Lynne (Arnettpartners) and Bruce (Bifwynne), given the unpredictability and system dependency of it all, I have no particular suggestions beyond what the others have said. Bruce, dedicated lines certainly seem like a good idea, that is amply backed up by anecdotal evidence. I finally got around to having one installed last year, but I upgraded my amplifier at the same time so I don't know how much difference it may have made, if any.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks, Al. You are a pleasure to read. I wouldn't be afraid to spend a few more $ on a power conditioner based on the above testimonials--one which featured a storage capacitor. I still have an old Adcom with a storage capacitor, but it doesn't clean up the signal as well as the intro Furman. The intro Furman does restrict dynamics though unless as you suggest the possibility that eliminating harmonic distortion creates that illusion. I suspect, though, that it is in need of storage. I'm also researching the silicon filter.
Good basic point Al.

A solution that truly cleans or smooths out the power supply in regards to AC frequency but also in conjunction limits basic power parameters like voltage and current may be of marginal benefit or perhaps even be detrimental in the end compared to one that does not or even no solution at all.
Al, I'm sure I don't have much of a choice about more dedicated lines. My entire system is sucking juice from one 20A line, the biggest users being: ARC 130 wpc tube amo; ARC tube phono pre; ARC tube linestage; ARC tube CDP; TT; and the big Daddy of all -- Paradigm Servo Sub (rated at 1500 watts; 4500 watts on peak). What amazes me is that I'm not blowing the breakers, although when playing Beethoven's 6th, the house lights brown out during the thunderstorm in the 3rd movement.

I was thinking about running 3 dedicated Romex 20A lines. The problem is where and how. My wife will flip if I start tearing up the walls; ceiling is not an option. If Code allowable, I was thinking about running a couple of lines through a PCV pipe the length of my basement next to the wall board UNDER my electric wall heater, which I rarely use.

Any thoughts. BTW, how much is your Furman. Would I need one for each line?
Hi Bruce,

If the lights that are dimming are not on the same 20A line as the system, then it suggests that a lot of the voltage drop is occurring in wiring that is upstream of that line, presumably on the input side of the panel. In which case adding additional lines between the panel and the system would not resolve a lot of the problem.

It was some of the others who mentioned the Furmans. I'm using a $259 Brickwall surge suppressor, that also provides a modest amount of EMI/RFI filtering and some degree of isolation between its four dual outlets. I've been happy with the results, although I suspect that I have better than average power quality, as I'm in a fairly small low density town that has no industry and almost no commercial development.

A minor correction: It's the 4th movement that you are referring to, not the 3rd, although the two movements are played with no pause in between. One of my favorite symphonies!

Best regards,
-- Al