Power Cord for Power Conditioner

I'm trying to figure out if it is absolutely necessary to use a company's power cord with their power conditioners. No brand in particular.Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
128x128commonone69
"Some folks are about sound, some are about measurements and seldom do the twain meet."

Agreed, but power cords don't know the difference between signal amplification for sound and signal amplification for measurement or any other purpose. Either they change the output of well designed equipment (putting research, medical diagnosis, and etc. at risk) or else they don't.
Would be interesting to visit someplace at the heart of state of the art electronics, say fermilab, and see if you can find one single 120v power cord that was beyond what you can buy at wall-mart.
Jeff have you ever heard the sound that measurements make ?

Do measuring instruments have a sound,like amplifiers do?

Look at how many different sounding amplifiers there are today, that on paper all measure the same.

Some things have yet to be measured and sound is one of them.

No one has heard the perfect replica of the original event and there is no absolute benchmark of what it is.

Unlike the lab gear you hold in such high regard, hifi gear isn't just a function of meeting the specs.

You'll hear what bad specs sound like and what good specs sound like, and sometimes a poorly speced amp(like some SET amps) sounds more realistic inspite of this. anomoly.

But this is just falling on deaf ears(literally) if you feel that all amps sound the same.

And the same can be said for power cords.

I know of one manufacturer of a line conditioner who now sources his wire direct from Germany because it not only measured better than what he had been using, but also sounds better.

This wire is the type of wire that is used in several research labs in Germany.
The manufacturer of the line conditioners was a cable skeptic,until he came across this wire.He revamped his product and now uses this industrial wire exclusively.

Audio is just a hobby sideline from his real profession as an industrial engineer setting up lab measuring devices throughout the world.Devices whose reliabilty depend on the quality of the electricity being fed into it.

The man is Ed Wolkow, his sideline is Foundation Research.
"Look at how many different sounding amplifiers there are today, that on paper all measure the same."

That is actually just something someone made up, I guarantee it did not come from an electronics/measurement type person.
The goal of a good manufacturer is to control quality to the point where there aren't measurable differences between components that are supposed to be identical (e.g. mono blocks), but there are measurable differences even when everything that can be done to prevent them is done. The other thing is that your components are constantly changing, a twelve month old amp will not measure exactly the same as it did the day you bought it. All devices (resistors, inductors, capacitors, transformers, etc.) are constantly either breaking in or breaking down and no two devices are ever exactly the same. The bright side is that as long as things don't get too far out of tolerance specifications, nobody can hear the difference.
I quit stereophile quite a while back, but they used to make amp measurements if you wish to confirm that no too amps of different design measure the same.

"Some things have yet to be measured and sound is one of them."

If it can't be recorded/measured then there is no way for it to be played back on your stereo.

"You'll hear what bad specs sound like and what good specs sound like,"

Interpreting good versus bad is where things get really interesting and also get to be very much about personal preference.

"But this is just falling on deaf ears(literally) if you feel that all amps sound the same."

Even if I believed that I'd still be forced to admit that they measure differently and I couldn't debate you. It is the opposite of the power cord thing.

I'm not going to comment on your reference to the specific company and individual. I think it is aok for you to bring it up in a positive sense though (and as far as I know this may be a great company).
The company isn't well known outside of Canada,which is mainly due to the limited runs of the conditioners the result of extensive time spent in the real world outside of our little niche group of audiophiles.

You perhaps should pick up the latest edition of 'Phile- and read M.Fremers description of the new Shunyata power conditioners and learn about DTCD, which is the first device to be able to produce the kind of validation you are seeking.

He states the naysayers will still have their doubts even when confronted with the first measurable differences between power cords(and fuses), but they wanted proof, so here it is.

Perhaps you will find the new edition of Phile well worth the cost of the mag, or you could read it for free at the nearest Chapters.
I am not out to sell magazines for anyone.

I could say that my intent is just to enlighten others who have yet to discover the merits of a decent power cord and for the fence sitters to try one for themselves and make up their own minds.

I gain nothing by sharing my positive expereince,and am at a loss why others so persistantly deny that there can be any difference, good or bad.What's in it for them to do so?

You've stated, all components change over the years.At least you acknowledge that fact, most power cord deniers won't even go that far and say the whole "burn in" thing is a hoax.

So perhaps it's time for you to actually go out and borrow a decent power cord and have a listen.You don't have to buy one, there are lots of companies with trial periods and let's not forget to support our local brick and mortar audio stores.

My local store allowed me to audition power cords and over the course of a few days, (not one switch, a quick listen and out it goes)you get the feel for what the cable is doing.

At the very least, you could butcher one of those molded PC's and put a couple of decent ends on it and then compare that to a stock power cord.

If you can notice a difference between a hot rodded and stock PC, then you should have a bit of an idea about what you can expect from the better power cords.

Or like I said you could pick up the latest Stereophile and pick up where you left off.

Some things have changed in the interim.
Lacee. I read the DTCD stuff/Fremer's article on the cable company's website.

Would like to have one of those free to play with, or access to enough detail to be able to see what the thing actually does. Would love to find out that I was entirely wrong and that a device has now been created which will allow all well built electronics to be made better, this would be a really big deal.

A review in something like popular science or one of the many EE and electronics trade mags would carry some real weight. Else, audio mags are not known for reliable info.