Likely culprit for harshness at higher volumes?

Hi,

I'm a newbie to higher end audio. I have a very modest system:
1) Pre-amp: Anthem AVM2
2) Amp: Adcom GFA-5400
3) Source: Sony CDP-X111ES CD player
4) Speakers: KEF C75
5) Toslink between source and pre-amp; cheap RCA cables from pre-amp to amp; 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire (Radio Shack?)

Room setup (10-ish feet x 20-ish feet rectangle):
1) 2 foot deep cabinets along one wall (20-ish foot)
2) Components stacked on top of small end table against rear wall (10 foot); centered between cabinets and opposite wall.
3) Speakers slightly in front of end table and about 2 feet from side walls and 4 feet from rear wall

Sounds good at about -45 to -25db; but higher frequencies get harsh at higher than -25db.

Appreciate your thoughts.
saru
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably your speakers or the room. The cables you describe should work just fine. I recently compared a set of $2,000 Nordost cables to a $7 pair of hardware store cables and certainly couldn't tell $1,993 worth of difference, at least for my system that I have about $5,000 in for the main stereo components. Cables make small difference and what you're describing sound like they are more significant in scale. Keep in mind that there are many members on the forum that have systems where cables might make a significant sound difference, but I don't think it applies to you and me. I'd suggest going with something like Blue Jean cables if you want something that's respected and affordable.
I would try decent (not necessarily expensive) analog cables instead of the Toslink first.
It's your speakers.

From a review: "The overall sound can get a little grainy if pushed too hard"
perhaps clipping.
Source music is awful, as has been noted by Shad, above.......look up 'loudness wars' if your want more info.

Also, Since speakers so not have watts, I'd simply ignore that rating. Good, loud, dynamic music demands a lot of an amp. Maybe it's just not passing muster.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the good info. I connected the CD player to the pre-amp using non-brand but what seems like otherwise decent, gold plated RCA cables using the analog output/inputs. To my surprise, while the harness is still there at higher volumes, since I was listening somewhat critically, the analog actually sounded a noticeable crisper and brighter than using the toslink. The toslink sounded slightly muffled in comparison. I'll get better cables next week to connect the pre-amp to the amp; maybe the combination of using CD analog outs and better pre-amp/amp cables will help.

Anyway, the harshness is still there regardless of toslink or analog.

So, based on the comments so far, that leads to speakers and/or the room (ignoring the cables for now). I'll try using the Q10's I have and see if that makes any difference. Will report back again later.

The room is fully carpeted but the drywall walls are bare and the cabinets are either dense wood or glass so reflections are probably possible.