Can temperature fluctuations affect audio gear?

Don't know about this...some owner's manuals say that you should allow equipment and tubes to warm to room temperature before using them, but this is different. My audio room is upstairs, isolated from the thermostat. Have to keep the door closed so the dogs don't venture in there and create havoc. Hence, in summer, the temperature in the room regularly goes to 85 degrees or so. In winter (like now), it will easily drop below 60 degrees. No need to worry about equilibration, since the gear is always in there, but should I worry about the temp fluctuations? Could get a baby gate to keep the dogs out, then it would stay 70-72, but otherwise, in winter a space heater is the only option.
afc
whats actually funny is that if you really look at how cooling in electronic systems are designed you would be amazed at how much is "approximations" and "best practices" over spiffy math. Lots of software now to help but still lots of design with margin in case you screwed up. I suggest just following the MFG recommendations. Reason is someplace some poor engineer is figuring out the board layout from a thermal standpoint and he or she is using the recommendations from the component vendors anyway so when you get right to it everything is coming from the manufacturer of the descrete components. Only variable is how paranoid the integrator is feeling. cool discussion all.
Paulsax, Yes there is a lot of approximation. Junction to ambient temp. coefficient often assumes certain size of heatsink on vertical PC board center located in 1 cubic foot of enclosed space. It never happens so designer has to approximate a lot using large design margins. According to Texas Instr. study probability of semiconductor failure rises fast above 100 deg C junction temp.

I would not worry for semiconductors in properly designed electronics as much as for the life of electrolytic caps that is shortened by half for every 10 deg C increase (starting at about 50k hours at 20deg C).

Free air convection inside of audio cabinet is poor because of shelves and often lack of vent holes. Making such holes or even inserting tiny silent microprocessor fan to force air thru the cabinet would help a lot.
If I felt the need to design something needing heat management, I'd try to over engineer by at least a factor of 2x. This would be using all rule of thumb estimates and data sheet numbers. If a doubt existed, buy the next larger heat sink. More space between caps. Vent the transformer. Any wacky thing I could think of to shed heat.
If I could work the math, I could probably cut it closer and save money, time and bulk.

Read up on some heat management issues. Just an example:: If the heat sink is fins are up / down the natural convection will funnel air up. You should provide venting above and below to facilitate this flow.

Put the SAME heatsink horizontal, with the same load, and suddenly you have way too little heat sink.

Add some forced air to EITHER and you are ahead. Forced air fans may require or tolerate different fin spacing.

I look at the ratty heatsink from an old CPU. What an awful design. Fan blew down into it and then out the sides. Problem? Well, I can't imagine much airflow in the center, at the base of the fins. I use this otherwise worthless extrusion as a letter holder. Works GREAT for that!

Point? BigBucks is right. There IS a substantial science behind this stuff. Wouldn't surprise me to hear of very close heat budgets in aerospace applications where every ounce shot into space requires gallons of fuel and every cubic inch counts. Knowing EXACTLY how much heat at what junction temp and how fast it migrates is within the realm of 'knowable'.....