Quest to achieve live sound

I have often found myself at concerts where JBLs are used for sound. Yet I have spent a whole lot of money over the years investing in high end when perhaps a set of Peevey's or similar PA speakers would have been enough to get me closer to the holy grail. Any comments or similar feelings of other members?
americanindubai
Most of the musicians I know have lost their hearing because of those live sounds. I believe in protecting my hearing, so I can continue to enjoy music to a ripe old age.
Yeah, jbl pro drivers don't work in the home. Right. Then don't look at my speaker system. ;-) This audiophile foolishness gets in people's way, IMO. I think many move away from this type of approach because they have heard something somewhere that was not setup properly for home stereo use. I'm certainly no expert at it, but getting better all the time. It does take more work to get things right because in most cases you yourself are responsible for getting placement, xover, etc. right, not just relying on a one-size-fits-all implementation from a speaker manufacturer.

Live sound does not mean high spl.
"Hire a band" - Ncarv, for the cost of some audio gear one can hire symphony orchestra many times.
Sitting at a live event not only amplifies the sound but also it's size. If it's philharmonic, the band shell magnifies the entire presence by design. P.A. sound is not the goal in achieving what I think we're after. To achieve what Apachef1 suggests is not to achieve "live" sound but reality. In setting up my system, this is always what my goal has been, to make it sound "real". And that "must" mean to sound "unpre-amplified" but amplified for the first time by my system. This requires extremely accurate speakers and especially a very fast amp. and probably vinyl.