Preamp inverts phase question:

The owners manual of my preamp indicates that the preamp inverts phase: the circuit is phase inverting. Does this mean that I need to hook my speaker cables up backwards to correct the phase inversion... do I hook the positive speaker cable to the negative speaker binding post and visa versa with the negative speaker cable connections on both speakers?
adampeter
I'm sorry, but phase really does matter and is very important. The difference is very apparent to me when using a phase inverting phono preamp. Why just assume that some recordings may be phase inverted, so it doesn't matter. You should configure your system to replay music properly, and that means switching the cables at the speakers to compensate for the preamp being phase inverting. Let the recordings that are "wrong" be wrong and let the ones that are phase correct play back properly. It is silly to set up the system "wrong" because phase might not matter. Set it up properly and let the chips fall where they may.
It only matters, Hifiharv, if it's audible. I could never hear polarity differences ("normal" vs "inverted") until I got my current speakers (Gallo Reference 3) which the manufacturer says "are very polarity sensitive." Most of my friends' systems are not polarity-coherent and it's pointless for them to mess with it if they can't hear it. Dave
Your question was not entirely clear, which may partially account for some of the complicated answers. When you say that your preamp is "phase-inverting," do you mean that it has a control switch or button that lets you go back and forth from normal phase to phase inverting? I suspect that that is what you mean, though your question could be interpreted as meaning that your preamp is always phase inverted. Assuming that you have a switch or button on the preamp and/or remote control that lets you toggle between phase and phase-inverted, then don't reverse the speaker wires. Connect amp positive to speaker positive, and amp negative to speaker negative. Then, when playing music, you can toggle back and forth to see if you prefer normal phase or phase inverted. Many people can't hear a difference, though you may be one who can. In all probability, your problem is really a non-problem, despite some of the replies to your question. Something of a complication might enter if you connected your sources, preamp, and amp in balanced mode (XLR connectors) and some of your electronics are American (pin 2 non-inverting or positive) and some of your electronics are German or Japanese (pin 2 inverting or negative). In that case, your electronics would be out of phase. There are various ways of restoring phase in such cases.
Victor Khomenko of BAT claims that 50% of recordings are recorded out of absolute phase. If true, it would make your question a mute point.
However, I would switch the + and - leads at the amplifier end, as I have done in my situation. My preamp also inverts polarity, and the manufacturer (VAC) recommends switching the leads at the amplifier instead of at the speaker terminals.

You can always experiment on your own, and no damage will be done.

Cheers,
John
Kusina,
My preamp is always phase inverted; no switches to go back and forth to switch phases. It is a Joule Electra LA-150 MK2.
Regards,

Adam