What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Post removed 
Walking into a listening room and hearing the Apogee Scintilla for the first time. That was an unforgettable experience.
It selected me; memories of my grandpa's mono Heathkit pre and power amp, Garrard turntable/Pthanstheil cartridge and Wharfedale single cabinet with three tweeters firing upwards, and 5 inch mid, 10 and 15 inch woofers I will always remember for the warmth and power that system when he played classical music on it.
I don't think I "selected" it, rather I just drifted into it through a love of music. It doesn't hurt that I have an engineers mind and was attracted to the technology! Oh how I fondly remember the Lafayette catalogs....
like viridian, i've collected music all my life.....most of my friends and associates who have done the same as a hobby, could care less about audio components. my father passed his 'stereo' hobby down to me, and to this day i even prefer to tell people (who could care less) that my 'stereo' is my hobby.......'audio' sounds like something that requires a skill other than flaking off and listening to music.