Speed bumps as a cause of hearing loss.

Have any members driven over a "speed bump" (these are the elevated paved bumps to force you to drive slower)while listening to the car stereo and immediately noticed a hearing loss(distortion, high frequency loss and level decrease)? I am a chiropractor and can verify the fact that speed bumps will absolutely mis-align the tiny bones in the ear so music sounds terrible afterwards, write your city councilman about these. I have to slow to less than 5mph in order to prevent this governmental assault and battery.
mint604
Mint604, read through some of your other posts. Let me take a wild guess...do you call California home? Berkeley or San Fran?

S7horton you state,
"If all of these [suspension items] are perfect, you may never even feel the bump."
I have my car set up with a performance suspension, and I can even feel every different texture in road surface (concrete, smooth asphalt, rough asphalt, and even the surface sealant used to fill asphalt cracks!) All depends what you want in a car. But after repeated jostling with the tight suspension, I'll match my "audiophile" hearing with someone half my age!
This phenomenon is real but is in fact due to the reverse Doppler effect. Accordingly the solution is simple: after the bump, turn up the volume, step on the gas and wipe that tear away.
Was hearing loss objectively evaluated by a hearing test? How does one evaluate "tiny bone" misalignment? MR? CT? What is proper alignment?

Is there any data to back up this thesis, or is it only a hypothesis?

One needs proof before writing one's councilman.

Just a cardiologist offering my thoughts on this issue. However, my non-audiophile ENT friend has definite concerns about hearing loss when listening to music at high volumes, which is a big concern of mine.
I was merely taking a survey to find out if other members have observed this hearing loss phono-menon. The loss occurs so quickily(fraction of a second) and most individuals have no memory of how their hearing was previous to the "speed-bump" assault for an A/B comparison, this instantaneous hearing loss usually goes unoticed if there is no radio playing, and thus the victim does not relate the hearing loss to the speed bump. OF EVEN GREATER hearing damage and the number one cause of all hearing loss..the closing car doors with the windows rolled up upon entering the car.Automobile manufacturers pride themselves on building air tight cabins. This action produces a ONE HERTZ sound wave (i.e. inaudible) well over 135db(a sound meter would be max'ed out).Thus this action is the equivalent of standing next to a cannon being fired. The resultant huge instantaneous pressure wave can shatter ear drums, damage the ear nerve, AND misalign the miniture ear bones. YES I do adjust the bones in the ears with great results, after only one adjustment everything sounds great, BEST UPGRADE IN THE WORLD, no appoointment necessary. I always open the drivers window about 6" upon entering. How about organising a class action suit against GM for negligence?
In case my previous post wasnt clear, I was being deeply cynical and totally sarcastic.

Mint604

I have seen one of two chiropracters with some success in terms of relief. I also thought that although they may have been crack(no pun intended) pots, there were well intentioned in their own alternative way.

Others were clearly pressuring me to come back as often as possible and spend as much money as possible perhaps because they werent very good and really needed the business.

But in any case, I think some of these alignment issues have been taken a bit too far by the chiropractic community and my guess is that the MDs on the board will not respond, as the scientists on the board will not respond to UFO sightings.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you may be able to release tension in someones neck or back, while treating them with sympathy and compassion which perhaps helps them even more.

But adjusting the misalignment of miniature ear bones? Give me a break!

That type of pseduo science should be reserved for debates on speaker cables.

Cheers