Underrated jazz greats

I listen to all sorts of music, but mostly jazz. There are many musicians who, for whatever reason, don't attract the attention that their great gifts possibly deserve. I would be interested to know who others think are hidden gems in the jazz world, who have contributed substantially to the genre.

I will begin with two musicians who I believe are outstanding, and deserving of the highest recognition.

1) Lew Tabackin - an outstanding tenor player, and a phenomenal jazz flutist in my view.

2) Sir Roland Hanna - tremendous command of the keyboard, and he thought around the perimeter of pieces to make them both musically and intellectually satisfying.

Very interested in others' thoughts.
stewartr
There is not enough time and not enough space to pay tribute to the legion of underrated Jazz artists.Not to mention underpaid.This list would be a very long one and never be complete.
Great as a noun,as in "importance or distinction in a field"
Herbie Nichols-Masterful composer and master of the obtuse and extraordinary in the modern Jazz era.Toiled in the shadow of Thelonious Monk,his rhythmic sense and harmonic adventures turned each tune into a dramatic Jazz opera.
Great as an adjective,as in " unusual.A considerable degree of power and intensity" Warne Marsh- a gift beyond explanation as a tenor saxophone improviser.A direct line from Lester Young to Charlie Parker to his quest to play beyond the lick,the cliche,to create fresh and stunning solos each and every time with a tone as personal as your child's whisper.He did this in the face of Coltrane and later in the onslaught of the avant Garde.He did it with a rare conviction and he proved the best music is always heard by the least amount of people.
Just two names you should know.
I am totally intrigued by these responses. Let me be provocative, and state that i believe that Paul Desmond never got the recognition he deserved. So often, i see this erroneous reference that Dave Brubeck wrote "Take Five". Paul was an extremely thoughtful player, quoted phrases intelligently, and played with a wit and lyricism that is almost unequalled. He wrote some excellent music as well. He seemed to be under the thumb of Brubeck, contractually and otherwise, until he emerged as his own talent and recorded with some very superb and sympathetic musicians such as Jim Hall, Don Thompson, Ed Bickert, etc.