Latin Female Singers - Any suggestions?

I have always wanted to expand my listening repertoire beyond the traditional jazz ballads/balladeers. It seems as I discover new singers in the idiom I keep hearing many of the same traditional ballads being redone in much the same way. This is great to a point but a little spice of the Latin variety sure wouldn’t hurt. In that regards, I've done a little research and discovered Yasmin Levy (Landino, flamenco). Her album, Sentir blows me away. The recording quality is quite good too. I also like Brazilian Ceu (samba, reggae, jazz) on her self-titled album. Ojos de Bruja are also doing interesting stuff. None of these can be called jazz in the traditional sense but good nonetheless.

Concha Buika's collaboration with Chucho Valdes is another great find. Fantastic synergy between Concha and Chucho here, with very good sound quality as well. Others I have manage to sought out so far are Mexican singers Lhasa, Lila Downs,Chavela Vargas and Argentinian Mercedes Souza.

I'd be interested to hear of any others, along these lines, that you might be aware of.
128x128hew
Second Celia Cruz and Gal Costa. Many fans of Brazilian female singers would say that Elis Regina was the greatest ever.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nsKWQA4sLZg&feature=relmfu
Peruvian Susana Baca might be of interest. She has an enchanting voice IMO and has worked extensively with Marc Ribot, David Byrne and John Medeski among others.

Susana Baca in Concert
For any lover of the female voice, its hard to overlook artists like Eliane and Karrin. What I am really seeking are the more obscure, overlooked singers. Even so, the suggestions are all great - please keep them coming.

I had a chance to listen Gal Costa's Live at the Blue Note and she is definitely among my favorites of those suggested. Also worth mentioning are Sylvia Telles, Tania Maria and Nara Leao discovered through the related artists feature on Spotify (great previewing tool). I just received a Susana Baca disc with a pile of other stuff I haven’t had a chance to listen as yet.

Back in the good ole days, there was one particular used cd store I loved visiting. I’d go at least once per week and spend hours going through isle after isles of cds discovering all the hidden gems. The best part of the store was the locked glass cabinets at the front where they stored audiophile stuff -- namely, MFSL for $14 each. I vividly recall the day, I went to pay for my usual pile and the proprietor suggested I include a compilation by David Byrne titled Adventures in Afropea 3. This was my intro to Cesaria and morna. I have been a fan since. This compilation is really worth searching out btw - wonderful music, especially the first track on the disc.
I'm a Brazilian fanatic. Frogman is correct that Ellis Regina is the best of the best. Check her out with Antonio Carlos Jobim called Ellis & Tom. It doesn't get any better.

Check out Bebel Gilberto. She's the daughter of Joao Gilberto who basically invented Bossa Nova.

If you want to hear something very special, Ellis Regina's daughter Maria Rita is nothing short of stunning. Check out her latest ELO. I'm positive without having any idea that she won a Latin Grammy for ELO.

I don't have much time to post right now but I can elaborate soon. I could go on forever about Brazilian music. It's my personal preference for Latin music. The history is amazing and the music is as influential as any other form of music from anywhere at any time in history.
Eliane Elias "A Long Story" is a great album!

It's a shame Elis Regina passed at such a very young 36 years in 1982.