Why are HD downloads so expensive?

So as we enter the "post physical media" era I am amazed and rather disappointed that the new HD downloads from HDtracks, Linn etc. are so damn expensive.
In most cases these are reissues of old music that has seen the original investments amortized many times over. And now no longer needs to be packaged, shipped warehoused etc.
Yet on average the cost is over $20 per album.
I think this is a huge rip off.
What do you think?
mauidj
Whether it's fair or unfair, aren't they just charging what the market will bare?
I agree that used CDs can be cheap locally, and the 'Zon often has good prices, as well as servicing good used vendors like goHastings. But 2 bucks used and 10 new is for the most part exceedingly optimistic, if you are looking for particular releases, esp. releases that are relatively obscure or recent. IME, 8 used and 12 new, anyway, for the kind of stuff I buy.

OTOH, HD tracks doesn't seem to have much of the stuff I buy, which is why I've not yet plunged.

John
I can't believe that people are complaining about price! Isn't this an audiophiles forum?

Go out and put your money where your mouth is and actually support higher quality music by buying from HD tracks!

Oh and stop stealing music through torrents - if it ain't worth paying for nobody is going to continue to provide media in high resolution.

The great thing about HD tracks is that the music is hardware proof - no need to buy an SACD player or a Blu-Ray player as in the case of other media!
I have no idea how the Bro’s at HDtracks come up with their prices. Selling at prices that the markets will bare = “rip off” = crying in your soup. I too wish that HD’s prices were better as I have loved the few that I sampled and purchase. I will probably buy more. I have a choice AFTER I have sampled the quality of the product. A long way from “rip off” IMO. I think more competition in the market will come and be a good thing. I agree with Paul grahm.

“I'm selective on the HD Tracks I purchase, and these albums are so special to me that I'd spend more money if I had to in order to get the higher quality.”

Now give me a Wopper with cheese & a bottle of Rose!
A key question is what the royalty rates are to the artists...musicians/artists/composers are usually on the bottom of the heap when the money dribbles in, and anybody who thinks free downloading is OK is a complete asshat.