It was 44 years ago that...

Parlaphone released the Beatles 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'.
What other albums can be considered having as much impact, actually altering the direction of a music genre?
montejay
Owned a lot of 45's when I was a kid (I'm 57), and of course handled and heard my parents LP's but MY 1st 3 LP purchases were The Supremes Greatest Hits, Vanilla Fudge, & Sgt. Pepper's. It's hard to explain growing up with the Beatles to people that didn't. And I understand there are some folks here that aren't fans but the Beatles music was a world-wide phenomena for a reason.

Perhaps you've heard (I know I Have)the expression when speaking of a different artists particular recording; "...this was their Sgt. Pepper's...". I think that pretty much says it all!
MacDad

Sorry to hear you are pulling up stakes!!!!! You got to stock up on those pecan pies from Goode!
I also just had about the best steak ever in Houston last week at Churrascos. As for the Nirvana and Stevie, I totally agree.
Montejay

I have been in the concert biz for ages and we kind of hold up U2's Zoo Tour as the "Srgt. Pepper" of live tours for originality and scaling.
It's interesting that no one mentioned the period when Dylan and The Band were noodling around in the basement. Eric Clapton disbanded Cream after hearing what The Band produced during that time i.e. Music From Big Pink. Lots of musicians claimed that Music From Big Pink changed their lives and the way they thought about music.

The Beatles moved sharply away from the sound of SP as Dylan continued to influence John Lennon and George Harrison. I think he had little influence on McCartney because he walked out of the room when Sir Paul tried to play it for him. I do believe there was a lot of friendly competition between The Beatles and Dylan, but Paul has really done very little noteworthy music since losing his foil in Lennon.

The Beatles influenced Dylan to go electric, Dylan influenced the Beatles to write real songs as opposed to the drivel they did on their early LPs.
Hi Bongofury
I don't doubt your experience in live concerts or the music industry
As a kid growing up in Montreal in the '70s however, I saw Pink Floyd
ELP and many other rock bands define stadium rock
U2 came after
IMO

Regards,