Pink Floyd

I see that all/most of Pink Floyds catalog is being re-mastered and scheduled for release later this year. Any news or insights?
128x128rja

According to the principles at Astoria, Parsons was not responsible for the "sound behind the original DSOTM" in any significant way. Further, when it came time for the remasters, Guthrie was the unanimous choice because he knew the project better-- inside and out. There as a tiff over that, of course.

According to the studio, the band played the lead role in assuring top sound quality for that particular masterwork, not the mastering engineers. The Studio felt Guthrie was the talent behind the panel, not Parsons, though Alan did get accolades and a lot of the credit.

Guthrie and Doug Sax still work together today and there is no love between those two and Parsons.
Samuel,

Possibly, though Alan Parsons has produced some other really good sounding stuff - so it is hard to believe he did not play a significant role. It wasn't until "The Wall" that James Guthrie became directly involved with PF.
exhilirating or mind numbing...that's a matter of taste. But, there should be NO DENYING that those guys can play.

This sems just right to me Marty, for the Dead or Floyd!

John
"They were not a stoner band but that was the era. "

That's right. PF didn't really want 20,000 fans that were drunk and high and yelling "crank-it -up"!!. Save that for Lynard Skynard.(awesome band too, not trying to "dis" them in anyway, but you know the fans they have) PF, was hoping for a more cerebral audience that would appreciate the music for what it is , which is great, and pay attention during the performance and then give a short polite clap (in a researved British way) at the end.

PF, imho , IS the greatest band ever and transcends the basic rock band format. The music stands 100% on its own without vocals. Given the first few albums WERE crap and are dated, everything post "wish you were here" is a timeless masterpiece and is in no way dated - it like the closest we have to modern Bach.

A DEAD concert was more of an three ring circus event, more about what went on in the parking lot than the stage. Fake dead heads would show up to act like real Dead Heads and general on-lookers would come over to see both types acting weird. The DEAD had a very limited amount of really great songs and IIRC, about have the albums were "greatest hits" or live recording, mostly tending to release the same ol' songs again.

It amazes me how the Beetles, which were more marketing than music and rarly toured after 1966 can remain so highly popular and sell so many box sets and reissues. That, I think people would find boring and really not care anymore.
I don't know if Beethoven is rolling over, but I am sure that Bach must be. To compare Pink Void to Bach is just silly.