Who is the World's Best 'New' Female Vocalist

It has to be Renee Olstead--she's remarkable, with talents that literally dwarf other female artists. Before you think of who is better, let me explain.
For me, it's about the voice first...I have to love the texture, totally personal here...a love it hate it kind of thing. For example, for many years including this one, I've felt that Karen Carpenter had about the most beautiful voice, I suppose, just in terms of texture, that I'd ever heard. Perfect pitch, (without pitch correction I believe) beautiful pronunciation, diction...all the components for my taste.
What was lacking was that 'style' that special vocalization that some performers, who are musically gifted have...think Clifford Brown's trumpet versus practically everyone else. Chris Botti emulates him, but isn't quite there...excellent but not really a Clifford.
Renee, does things with her voice, a 'cry' in her voice at times, going into her 'head' voice (falsetto in males) with ease...a probably 4 octave range...SHE'S remarkable.
Buy her albums!
Her first album is remarkable, and maybe better, (more a function of what music you prefer, as she matured some in the interim).
As a frequent poster on Audiogon, I think we have a responsibility to one another to make suggestions which have helped us find the 'magic'...this girl has the magic.

Good listening.

Larry
lrsky
Look at Katie Melua, Soviet Georgia born and raised in Ireland. Great variety of styles. Look at her on youtube
Agree with Katie Melua - her music is incredible.

Adele 21 has been played a lot here lately also - worth checking out.
Rafr
Look at Katie Melua, Soviet Georgia born and raised in Ireland. Great variety of styles.

Buff
Agree with Katie Melua - her music is incredible.

I posted about Katie Melua in Feb 2006 when she was an unknown. I guess I did not consider her as new since I've been listening to her so long.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?gmusi&1139026764&read&keyw&zzmelua
Albertporter: "it's not a contest". No truer words have been spoken here! Each other is the best gift that we get in this world. Music is the truest art form.