The Sound or Music

I listen to all genres of music but really enjoy it with good sound. I know of people who just love one particular type of music but don't care at all about audio. My late relative just loved classical music and had hundreds of good records but his system was like bad transistor radio. He had means but was not interested in better system at all. Music, for him was 99.9% and sound 0.1% of the pleasure. He was most likely missing half of instruments of orchestral music, he listened to - either by limited frequency response or very poor resolution. He was a music lover. Am I a music lover or just only an audio freak?
What about you?
128x128kijanki
"Highend" people, on the other hand, discover the old LP's they bought 30 years ago are brand new all over again, consequently; they have no need to rush to the record store. "

Yes, I do that.

I also purchase new and used lps and CDs (and even downloaded mp3 or other format files) to fill in gaps and expand my collection, but this happens to a lesser extent than it would if the stuff I already have did not sound so good.

I also visit the local library and bring home lots of stuff I would not pursue otherwise to listen to and find a lot to like there as well.

More than ever, I have way more good stuff to listen to and enjoy than ever before and not enough hours in the day to do it all. A nice position to be in I would say for any music lover.

I'd rather spend time listening than putzing around with my system, but I will putz if needed. Does that make me not an audiophile?
"Does that make me not an audiophile?"

Yes it does - since you care about sound.

Public library is great. For a while selection was limited and physical quality (scratches) really bad. Now they have a lot of CDs plus judging by radial marks (when I take CD against light) they use CD shaver/polisher.

Kijanki, I'm glad you mentioned violin. When the violin is just right, everything else is just right.
Mapman, would you rather putz than listen. After you have reached a point where you are in "audiophile heaven", how long do you remain before you have to "putz"?
"After you have reached a point where you are in "audiophile heaven", how long do you remain before you have to "putz"?"

I suppose until the time comes again where things do not sound right or I think I know how to make an improvement. Until then, I do not touch a thing. The actual time period can vary. Currently, I have not touched anything since my recent amp upgrade a couple months back I suppose. I have gone several years without changing anything in the past.

The thing is any one change can start a chain reaction. My last chain reaction leading up to where I am now started when I gave up on trying to get my Magnepan mg1cs set up properly in my current home after realizing that my little Triangles in my second system running off an old Tandberg tr2080 receiver were outperforming them (and the B&W P6s and original OHM Walsh 2s I also had at the time). That led to major changes throughout the system culminating with the recent amp change, which I had planned to do eventually for about 2 years after acquiring the new, big OHMs.