Classical Music: A How-To Guide for Beginners

This will be an ongoing thread to recommend great recordings and great performances of classical music. It seems that many audiophiles have a couple pieces of classical music, but have not fully delved into the genre. This is unfortunate, because there are literally thousands of treasures to be experienced. Classical music encompasses all aspects of human emotions, and there are is something out there for everyone. People may feel intimidated by all the choices. Exploring different pieces becomes enjoyable once you have a foothold. I hope to provide that foothold for people who wish to initiate a collection of masterpieces.

A couple of references are worth mentioning. First, www.classicstoday.com is an excellent source of highly opinionated reviews. Although some may disagree with some of the reviews, there are too many sites that think everything is wonderful. For a subscription magazine, Fanfare has a broad overview of many recordings from different genres. Good sources of CDs would include Amazon (new and used), Barnes and Noble (particularly sets with a 20% off coupon), Tower Records for certain sales, and www.mdt.co.uk for imports. Yourmusic.com is an online club with good prices.

My plan is to offer recommendations as I traverse my own collection, explaining the rationale for the choices. I hope that people will go and buy some of these, and listen to the aspects I mention. I hope that this is a fun adventure, and that others will come to appreciate the beauty of the classics. I feel lucky that this music has enriched my life, and I am always happy to share in some knowledge and experience. The software is inexpensive, so perhaps people would appreciate that chance to explore new music rather than fret about the latest power cord.
rtn1
My advice for the beginning classical music fan isn't a recording - my suggestion is get one recording (hopefully, a pretty good one) and listen to it a lot. Familiarity breeds love with great music.

I don't want to start a debate thread since we have a different purpose here, but I think the recommendation of the Beethoven Triple Concerto + Brahms Double Concerto with Rostropovich, Richter, Oistrakh is very wrong-headed as the

1) pieces are lesser works by both composers;
2) I personally don't like the performances.

Brahms - a very self-critical man - rarely published his lesser efforts. I think the quality control edit function was close to kicking in with the Double Concerto. Meanwhile, there are maybe 30-40 works of this terrific composer which are exciting first-rate compositions.
Stravinsky. The Rite of Spring (Le Sacre du Printemps). Boulez. Cleveland Orchestra. DG.

This orchestral showpiece is a also an audiophile showcase. One of the great modern works of the 20th century, and yet somehow popular despite the dissonances and lack of an overall melody.

Pierre Boulez brings clarity to the extra-ordinarily complex rhythms. The piece is played and recorded as clear as can be. The instrumental colors and sections are highlighted throughout.

Now some are going to take issue with this particular recording. Perhaps Boulez can be cool, analytical, and episodic. However, his strengths trump those criticisms in my view. There are other conductors who play it faster, more dramatic, and with emphasis on the harmonies. But Boulez strips it down to the pure composition and orchestration with beauty and devastation. Plus, he allows the Cleveland Orchestra to "let 'er rip" on numerous occasions, which is particularly impressive with his style to the climax build-up.

It would be difficult to agree on the best Rite, but this one sounds wonderful, is impressive on an emotional and intellectual basis, and is coupled with a great Petrouchka. I come back to this one often.
Mozart Piano Concertos are great for an introduction to classical music. The complete set on London/Decca played by Vladimir Ashkenazy is excellent. If you don't want to buy the whole set, I recommend finding a disc with Concerto's #20, #21, #23, and/or #25, which are arguably the best of the best. Recordings featuring soloists such as: Alfred Brendel, Daniel Barenboim, Rudolf Serkin, Mitsuko Uchida, and Murray Perahia - will almost certainly be an excellent purchase.

Cheers.
thank you so much Rtn1!!! i just cued up the Rite of Spring album you suggested in my LALA.com account. You get one free full listen to decide if you would like to purchase their mp3's. The orignial files are in WAVE format so they sound very good while first listening. I have not done the foray into much classical and was wondering if they would have much on this LALA site but i was pleasantly surprised to be able to find the album you recommended. Seems the first half of this disc is the New York Philharmonic? That is how it is shown on the title displayed and then the second half is indeed the "...Printemps" tracks from the Cleveland Orchestra. Yes, i am a newbie at finding great classical recordings but i love emotional and well recorded music so thank you for what you started here with this thread!! Cheers
I also read mention of chamber music in this thread and i know i would be a candidate for some great recommendations in that regard. I love listening to wonderful cello for example!! I shouldn't say i am a total newbie as i have been to several symphonies but i am VERY ignorant as to where to look to find beautiful pieces of well recorded music in this genre. I love the label ECM to give you an idea, but that is not a classical label, but that may give you an idea as to what i am searching for sonicly as many of those artists come from classical backgrounds and the recordings are usually very nice. thanks guys!