When will rap music be less mainstream?

First time I heard MC Hammer’s song many years ago, I like the rhythm and thought it is quite unique. After that, all kinds of rap music pop up. I never thought rap music would be mainstream for such a long time in US. If you look at the music award ceremonies, you will find it being flooded with rap music. Sometimes I am not even sure rap can be considered as song because you don’t sing but speak. Now you start to hear rap music in some other languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean that don’t sound good in rap format. It would be interesting to hear rap music in Italian.

Time will tell if a song is good or not. A song is good if somebody want to play it for their loved ones on the radio 20 years later. I can’t imagine someone will play a rap for their beloved one 20 years later. Just curious if any A’gon member keep any rap collection?

Besides rap, I also have a feeling that the music industry in general is getting cheesy now. American Idol show gets huge attention while lots of singers perform at the bar or hotel can easily sing better than the idols. The show also asked Barbara Streisand if she watched the show and who was her favorite idol. What do you expect her to answer? People said Justin Timberlake is very talented singer/songwriter. I know him because I saw lots of headshot of him on commercials and magazines, but can you name any popular/well known song from him?
yxlei
"Rap sucks although it does provide, in many cases, a career path to 3 squares a day and a warm bed ranging in time from 1 month to 99 years."

This statement reminds me of that ridiculous trial, where the prosecutor tried to claim there were subliminal messages hidden on a Judas Priest record, that convinced two kids to commit suicide. Utter nonsense.
Hey Bongofury and Darkmobeus - very refreshing to see a couple of obviously well educated and OPEN-MINDED music lovers on here, yes, MUSIC lovers. I listen to everything from jazz to rock to hard core rap and love it all. As far as intelligent rap goes don't forget Common, Atmosphere, Black Star and Talib Kwali (on his own). Bongofury we should hang out - BIG Mike Skinner (Streets) fan here ....profound insight from this kid. Lets not forget another truly great ARTIST - 2Pac!
Only once people are prepared to open their mind regarding music will they get all they can out of it and it is their loss as far as I am concerned. A quick scan of the music for sale on this site will tell you who we are dealing with - Pat Boone, Johnny Mathis, Cliff Richard, Bing Crosby, I mean come on guys, people have been making great music in the last half-century in case you weren't aware, and while rock really has not been able to out-do the 60s and 70s hip-hop has been driving things forward.
The OP suggests that we won't be listening to any of these hip-hop records in 20 years time???? Sorry to tell you we already are and some from 20 years back are as fresh today as they were back then and we will still be listening to the hip-hop classics in 50 years. The greatest thing I ever stumbled on in my life and it changed my whole outlook on music was techno (in a broad sense) and I am so thankful that I was open-minded enough to "get it" - it has been the most rewarding chapter in my musical life and I know there are people reading this now thinking it is all bang, bang, bang. Maybe it is ...... until you really take an interest and it too is ART and millions of people across the globe are hitting up clubs, festivals and parties every weekend and having the musical time of their lives. It is almost sad that many people will never get to experience the buzz that myself and people like Bongofury get to experience simply because of closed-mindedness. I never listened to jazz until recently and the reason I am enjoying it now is because I decided that if so many people are into it then I must be missing something. I opened my mind and now you can find me on a regular basis tearing the Jazz isle to pieces in search of something fresh, at least fresh to me. I DJ internationally for a living and I can tell you there is nothing to destroy your passion for music faster than playing and listening to the same old tracks. The whole rush for most of us is finding fresh music continuously.
Not knocking anybody for "looping" their music from 50 years ago, just don't knock people for, as Mike Skinner puts it, "pushing things forward."
Happy listening to all of you.
Thomastrouble

Amen to that. I have worked with over 1,000 bands per year in a live concert setting and LOVE all music. It would be a sad day when people dictate personal taste. My 25 and 28 year old children and I are constantly exchanging fresh music. My daughter loves house and techno and married to renowned Bay Area artist Dave Kim, who has fused classic violin over DJ music. I love young bands. On heavy rotation at the moment is The XX, Mos Def, the Throwdowns, Sticky, and the Union Line.