Do you ever wonder?

Do you ever wonder why some artists (individuals or groups) attain success through critical acclaim and/or record (cd) sales?

Here is my list of those who have made it in the recording/entertainment industries and is completely puzzling to me.

Please list your own; it's irrelevant what you think of mine.

OK, here you go (in no particular order):

Sheryl Crow
Norah Jones
Michael Bolton
Celine Dion
Joe Cocker
Manhattan Transfer
Boston
Rickie Lee Jones
Pink
Phil Collins

That's enough to get started; show me what you got.
audiofeil
It does make me wonder how a group like ELP ever became so popular in their heyday, and I like ELP a lot.
Phil Collins- So so badio
Sting- Pompous duschebag
Maria Carey- Pop fingernails on the chalkboard
Madona- Bad medicine for the masses

And the number one all time biggest selling artist that completely baffles me is.... Garth Brooks

And one more thing, I grew up in the 70's. How was it that the biggest radio stations would heavy rotate the likes of Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Chicago, Foghat, Rick Deringer, Kansas, ELO when there was the Roling Stones , The Who, Led Zepelin, Allman Brothers, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Aretha Franklin (I could go on here forever with great artists)? The 70's rock format stations are still play that garbage.
What, no mention of Kenny G or John Klemmer? IMHO, neither of them should have ever picked up an instrument.

However, I think that many of the artists deservedly roasted in the post have also done some great work. For example, REO Speedwagon released the excellent T.W.O. before all of their subsequent drivel. Chicago produced 6-7 great albums and another, what, two dozen of dreck? Tom Waits' last 15 years may have been an artistic waste, but The Heart of Saturday Night is unforgettable....and so on. Hell, even Miles Davis had an off decade now and then.
Dave Matthews Band - voice like 6 cats in a sack. WTF.

The Stones last listenable album was Some Girls, and their previous stuff has been played enough to last a lifetime. Somebody bury the corpse already; it stinks.

U2 - everything post Joshua Tree is market-tested pop schlock that should never be heard outside of an elevator. The Ford Taurus of rock bands.