So, What is the Verdict on the Beatles Box Sets?

I see a WIDE variety of opinions on the new Beatles Box sets; both for the stereo and mono versions. Have you spent some quality time evaluating these? How good/bad are they? Should we run out and get both sets? What about releasing them on vinyl; is that going to happen?
stickman451
So Coffee, let me get this straight, you "spent thousands on [the Beatles rereleases] uk mono press lps" and you're castigating me for being an apologist for the new mono remasters? Not to mention you've decided to stop addressing any content and resorted to namecalling (right after posting to "mooooooove on." Can one's credibility drop any lower?
I have deep dived the mono box set and the stereo version of Abbey Road. I am very impressed with the remastering, end to end. The earlier work has never sounded better, IMHO. The mono mixes throw a wonderful soundstage, and really sound great on less than pristine playback systems like car stereos.

Most of the work up to the White album was mixed on tube-based gear. This sounds incredible. The stereo version of Abbey Road was recorded and mixed on solid state gear, and due to them personally needing more than 8 tracks, suffer with a little bit of compression that was a by-product of the mixing down. You can particularly this on the fade out of "I want you". Overall, you get more enhanced presence of Ringo and Paul and their special interplay. The deep basslines on the White Album are especially brilliant and I think the skins on "Carry That Weight" are as close to drumming perfection.
The stereo 2009 CD box set just sounds odd to me, a little bit unfamiliar if you like. I'd go as far as to say it sounds like remix. The effect is almost subliminal, and won't be apparent if you have not heard the vinyl recordings.

For me the bigger gulf is between the analogue and digital versions rather than the stereo and mono ones.