The old timers give the young'ns tips on the 60s.

I love the music of the 60s...it was such a magic time musically. Unfortunately I wasn't born yet. Of course, we young'ns know about the greats....CSN, Jefferson Airplane The Doors, Neil Young, CCR, the obvious ones...but it took me awhile to find Moby Grape, Richie Havens or Nick Drake. How about some tips of some great sixities music that somehow has dropped off the radar.
issabre
Just a bunch I think I haven't seen mentioned yet. Most of these and the ones already mentioned actually sit astride 1970 but I would guess that is not a hard cut-off date for your purpose.

The Nice
Soft Machine
Gong (the Kevin Ayers era)
Colosseum
Ten Years After
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Edgar Broughton Band
Pink Fairies
Tyrannosaurus Rex
One other significant record that reflects the style of the era is the 1972 double album "Something/Anything" by Todd Rundgren.
Here's the next batch worth (some even essential!) to check out.

Kim Fowley (Animal God of the Streets!)
Electric Prunes
Family (the one with Roger Chapman, that is, do not confuse this with the 80's Band that went by the same name!)
Groundhogs
Wisbone Ash
Graham Bond Organization (figure this: Graham Bond, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, John McLaughlin, Dick Heckstal-Smith, John Hiseman!)
Electric Flag
Giles, Giles & Fripp (the ones to become King Crimson, a group that hopefully remained on everyone's radar, otherwise they should be mentioned here as well in BIG, DayGlo characters)
Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing at Baxters. Barely recognized, but one of the best of the '60's, and surely their best. Sound quality is pathetic, alas.

Neal