Richard Thompson recommendations

I listen to a wide, eclectic selection of music but have not explored Richard Thompson. What would be a recommendation for a standout album - preferably live acoustic that has both a great performance and acoustics.
I also just wanted to comment on how amazing this forum has been for expanding a music collection. Not having time to keep up or explore, I see recommendations here, follow up and have never been let down. Need to pick up that new Bruce Cockburn album today - Thanks to all!
landshark75
A couple more thoughts:

For sound quality, you may want to look for the Mitchell Froom productions.
These aren't necessarily "audiophile" recordings, but they are
generally good recordings of vocal/guitar surrounded by lots of stuff that
"enhances" the main ingredients. Unfortunately, this was a
relatively brief period (see "Action Packed", a Capitol Records
greatest hits collection) where RT made very good music, but it misses much
of the variety that makes his catalog so wonderful.

Also, RT is, as much as almost anyone I can think of, all about live
performance. His website offers many live cds, any of which will be
worthwhile. My personal favorite is "Two Letter Words" and I'd
highly recommend it.

Finally, listen carefully to some of the lyrics on those early records. Songs like
"Dimming of The Day" and "Walking on A Wire";("Where's the justice, where's
the sense, when all the pain's on my side of the fence?") . Then check out
the more recent stuff like "Guns Are The Tongues" , "I Feel So Good" ,
"Waltzing's For Dreamers" , etc. You really get a sense of just how broad RT's
lyrical ability is.

Marty
The greatest hits CD with his wife is also good. Fans should check out the CD-DVD Thousand Years of Music. Good sound and see him in concert and in casual interviews. Get Rumor and Sigh first.
I'm rather partial to the CD "Richard Thompson, Live from Austin." There's lots of his best songs and some amazing guitar playing, both electric and acoustic. Even better is the DVD version, so you also see his hands in action.
start with fairport convention-full house and richard and linda-shoot out the lights.
One of my favorite Richard Thompson CDs is "King Of Bohemia" - a very rare live recording from 1991 consisting of eight songs recorded at the KPFK studios in LA, and nine songs recorded at The Ventura Theater in Ventura, CA. If you find a copy, BUY IT! It's a great introduction to RT's work, and sounds quite good as well. The number is EMCD12. No other info is given on the CD.

Also, you might want to pick up a CD or two by Luka Bloom, particularly "Riverside" and "The Acoustic Motorbike." Both really outstanding songwriting and guitar work. One of the best percussive rhythm guitar players on the planet.

As for Bruce Cockburn, make sure you try two of my favorites, "Breakfast In New Orleans Dinner in Timbuktu" and "Dart To The Heart." Both boast some of his best songs, IMHO.