Some irrefutable truths about rock and roll

1) Robert Johnson invented rock and roll, and is the rightful King of it. Elvis Presley's title should be amended to "Poster Boy of Early Rock and Roll."

2) Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is infinitely better than the Rufus Wainwright version and is the definitive version of the song.

3) The Rolling Stones were and are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll.

4) If it's too loud you are, indeed, too old.

5) The Stone Roses' self-titled debut is the best debut album ever in the history of ever.

6) John Mayer needs to stop that right now.

7) A good song is a good song, whether it's played on an Audiovox tape deck and a single factory speaker in a 1976 Buick Skylark or a complete Linn Klimax system.

8) A couple of Les Pauls, a Fender Precision bass, and a decent set of drums sound every bit as good as the most disciplined orchestra.

9) There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the occasional urge to crank "Hungry Like the Wolf" from time to time, so long as it doesn't become a habit.

Did I forget anything?

*yes, I realize everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and this is meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
theraiguy
Tho our tastes differ by about 180 degrees, I've always found 'Bert one of the most interesting posters here. His views of art and its role in society reflect a sensibility that's not often seen these days. It may be fair to label him intolerant, but its also clear that he finds true joy in the music that fits his view of "noble" art and that he pursues that passion with energy.

I always find his posts well thought out, even tho the context of his logic is narrow. He calls that good taste, others call it intolerant, I'll sit out that debate and continue to read his posts for the very different point of view they represent.

Please do not confuse me with Schubert!

Rock was never metaphysical but visceral. Rock, rock n roll or whatever words you want to describe it, was always rebellious, at least the notorious side of it. It was always about lost love, cheating girlfriends, revenge, and redemption. Rock was seductive, particularly, to middle class suburbia angst. I wanted fast cars like the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean had. I wanted a GTO. I wanted girls and sex like the Rolling Stones promised. But perhaps by 1967 things changed, it became mainstream, the capitalists could make a ton of money off of it. We went from clubs, to arenas, to stadiums. To some extent the music became slower [beats per minute], even turgid, because the acoustics in stadiums back then were horrendously bad. [ not unlike why plainchant was so slow, not because they do not want to speed up things a bit, but the acoustics in cathedrals were ghastly with reverb! Machaut used this to his advantage!]. And what is truth, in a post modern world? Whatever gets the most applause.......;-)))
I can't really argue with Shubert's irrefutable truths about rock and roll.

At its core, it and its primary influences is as he describes, at the opposite end of the spectrum from what makes great classical music great.

Two things I would point out though.

1) None of us are pure good or evil. Each of us has some amount of both in us. God and the devil, for lack of better words, in different amounts and proportions, that can change minute to minute. I like to think of it in terms of ying and yang. We are that way for a reason. Take either away completely and what is left is most likely lesser overall I suspect. Much of life is about recognizing the good and the bad and how to deal with it effectively. We learn a lot about both from music in general.

2) Rock and classical may be at their core at two ends of the spectrum in terms of high art and cultural value, but there is all forms of music in between of both those, variants of the purest forms in a sense. There is much to take away from it all! Not all music categorized as rock targets our vices. The example I will cite personally is The Moody Blues. They came about in the haze of the sixties but I would challenge anyone to find anything negative at all in their music. Their music is designed prety much exclusively to help elevate others in various ways. There is even a book out there these days that focuses on the spiritual aspects of the groups music.

Here is just one sample of lyrics from a little known Moodies (known for their "classical" music influences) song that provides great example of what I am talking about:

"Walking in the sand
Thinking of things, adventures in my mind
Tall ships that sail
Across the ocean wide
They won't wait for me
See the way they glide away so gracefully
And with tomorrow what will become of me
They leave me so much to explain
That's the start of our guessing game

There are times when I think I've found the truth
There are times when I know that I'm wrong
And the days when I try to hide my fears
Bless the days when I'm feeling strong

Wonder why we try so hard
Wonder why we try at all
You wonder why the world is turning around
When in the end it won't matter at all

Standing in the town
Looking at people, counting their frowns
Unhappy faces, hurrying around
So blind they cannot see
All of these things
The way life ought to be
And with tomorrow what will they make of me
It leaves me so much to explain
That's the start of our guessing game

There are times when I think I've found the truth"
.. or this, which ain't a bad place for anyone looking to find themselves to start:

"I've been thinking
The way people do
'Bout the things that matter
To me and you
I've decided
To do what I can
And to find the kind of man
I really am
I can see the world from here
And it sometimes makes me
Want to disappear
Back to nature