Looking for some 'grass

What's the best Bluegrass group, album, CD, or cut, you've heard in some time?

Please do mention if it is by content, or quality of the recording.... SACD, DVDA, etc.

It is hard to get past efforts from Skaggs & Krauss naturally, but I do favor the "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" volumes from the Dirt Band & friends.

But I will try a few here anyhow.

"Mountain Soul" from Patty Loveless... and "Little Sparrow" by Dolly Parton are super overall.

Charlie Sizemore's efforts as well should be considered at the very least.

Melonie Cannons last two CDs are noteable works also.

So there...

Who, what, or Which, do you like most as of late, or just overall?
blindjim
Gee thanks much…

I’m not terribly keen on Ralph Stanley’s vocalizations, but his content and contributions go without saying as being awesome.

When I think about the Stanley Brothers the Osbornes come to mind along with any number of other formative and inspirational contributors to the Bluegrass genre itself… like The Carter Family.. Clinch Mountain boys, John Hartford, The Whites, and Bill Monroe.

Rhonda Vincent crosses over some, but the statements and social issues she addresses with her music are outstanding and spot on. She has good range and a powerful voice.

Melonie Cannon follows in her footsteps with still more biting topics and insightful tracks ranging from the music business to drug addiction, on her self titled initial disc, and now the latest one, “And The Wheels Turn”.. cuts off that one not to be missed are “Cactus in a Coffee Can” and “The Day before You”.

I was sort of surprised no one had yet mentioned the Chieftans… “Down the Old Plank Road, and Further down the Old … Rd.” come to mind as pretty good albums, notwithstanding the pop musicians that come on board as contributors on the reprise album similarly titled.

Earl Scrugs did a compilation which included the Likes of billy Bob Thornton, Sting and Elton John called “Earl Scruggs & Friends”

“The Foggy Mountain Breakdown” cut on that CD is one of the best I’ve heard to date. In lieu of the pop influence, with a celebration of musicians giving up instrumental solos by Steve Martin, Vince Gill, Randy Scruggs, and marty Sturart, just to name a few. There is a dobro, organ, and piano solo in it as well! There are several other worthwhile tracks… A pretty good CD overall, with a well recorded senseibility and professionalism! A great sampler CD for the uninitiated or the aficionado.

Robin & Linda Williams CD “Sugar for Sugar” is a Folksy ‘grass album with a few outstandingly contrived tracks with ‘The Cheapest Kind’ being my overall fav.

From the same locale that brought us Patty Loveless, The Judds and others, Dwight yoakam continues to spring up on any number of Bluegrass comps contributing his insightful and traditional styling’s to the intended mix of country twang and roots music.

Two of his CDs came to mind as almost ‘must haves’ … 'acousticdotnet’ and Dwight’s Used records… the latter provides a combination of takes on John Prines “paradise” which are just exceptional! As with most of Dwight’s Cds, they are also very well recorded. The intended solo acoustic effort covers as great a slice of life as any other musical album I’ve experienced thus far.

Cajun ‘grass too is interesting and lots of fun too… What do they call that style? Zydygo?

Clearwater, and Summervilla don't get much press as with many indipendant local groups... one from the Birmingham area with rock roots is called "A Roll in The Hay".. good stuff.
For an excelent DVD, a must see is "High and Lonesome". Wonderful historical documentery about the origins of Bluegrass with an emphasis on Bill Monroe.